HELP! Need to install Plop using ChromiumOS Flow build

Started by pface, April 12, 2011, 23:05:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pface

New member here  :)

I joined hoping someone can help me with a little problem...

I own an Elonex Websurfer CEWS7-2 found here:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Elonex-Websurfer-Touchscreen-Removable-Bluetooth/dp/B002FA9LZI

It was running XP with a system restore partition. It has been quite slow since I bought it about 12 months ago. I tried installing a cut down version of Linux made for websurfer/netbooks but it was too buggy. So i used the recovery partition to reinstall XP and have put up with it ever since...

The bios does not allow booting from usb, so I used Plop to allow me to run ChromiumOS Flow build by Hexxeh
http://chromeos.hexxeh.net/

I was happy with the compatibility and decided to install it. However this has completely wiped the hdd of XP and the recovery partition.

I am not too happy with the build of ChromiumOS and would like to try the Vanilla build also by Hexxeh, or maybe revert back to XP. (I would also consider Linux if anyone could recommend a flavour that would work good  ;)).

My problem is that Plop was also wiped when I installed ChromiumOS. I have no idea how to reinstall Plop when using the present OS. Is it classed as Linux? If so, as I have limited knowledge of how Linux works, how do I install it again?
Maybe DOS is the answer... But I don't know how to do this either.

There are only 2 options under the Bios to boot. One is from the internal hdd, the other is a Realtek boot for the ethernet connection I believe? There is no way to switch on booting from USB or SD.

However I have noticed an extra option allowed me to use SD/USB recently. It was added by either installing Plop, Flow Chromium, or using a Win98 boot disc I copied to SD to help me delete Paragon Boot Manager which had corrupted my system. Alas, it has since disappeared. So, without floppy, cd-rom or USB booting, it seems I am stuck with Flow...

I'm prepared to flash the bios if needs be, but have no idea where to find upgraded bios files...

Too much has happened for me to know where I go from here. My head hurts from information overload  :o

So, in a nutshell, how can I reinstall Plop so that I can boot from USB again?

Thanks for reading this far!

Elmar

hi,
chromiumos flow is using extlinux to boot. you can add a plop boot manager entry to /boot/extlinux.conf
see http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#runsyslinux

change the timeout value to 100

regards
elmar

pface

Thankyou very much for the reply. The info will come in handy... eventually. Unfortunately, my very limited knowledge of linux makes this an impossible task at the moment. I have a 9 month old baby and a house to look after, and don't have the time to learn to learn linux at the mo'... I couldn't even unzip the plpbt-5.0.11-2.zip file!

Methinks I need to put aside some time to read a linux tutorial. Thanks again for taking the time to respond, Elmar.

pface

Elmar

there is nothing difficult or special linux related. you only have to copy plpbt.bin to /boot and add the entry with a texteditor to extlinux.conf

regards
elmar