need some help please with booting from SSD in caddy

Started by mmoalem, July 15, 2012, 11:47:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmoalem

hi there - got my first SSD only t o find out that to replace the drive on my dell inspiron will need complete disassembly of the laptop down to the motherboard. so i have put it in a caddy that replaces the dvd drive. it is recognised but after migrating the OS partition to it it wont boot as it is not recognised by the BIOS as a bootable drive.
so i came across PLOP but cant figure out how to get it to work to boot from the SSD...

Elmar

hi,
at first, how did you migrate the os and what os is it?

elmar

mmoalem

hi there and thanks for the reply
the OS is windows 7 home premium 64bit
i have tried different methods of migrating. through command console and using paragon migrate to ssd. I believe the issue is in the bios (i have updated it too ) - it lists the drive as SATA ODD rather than SDB.
i have also tried EasyBCD to add entry pointing to partition F: (the drive letter windows allocated to my SSD) but trying to boot it throws an error of not finding winload.exe (it is there)
in regard to PLOP - all i have done was run InstallToBootMenu.bat and than boot into it i have only 3 partition options HDA1-HDA3. ihave used the options to add HDB1 but this didnt go anywhere...

Elmar

when the bios does not detect the hard disk correct, then the plop boot manager is not able to work with the hard disk.

mmoalem

thanks for this - at least it saves me fiddling with it till end of time.
cheers
michel