Selecting the next OS to be loaded, at time of rebooting -- possible?

Started by marlosol, August 05, 2015, 14:55:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marlosol

From the feature list it's my impression that this isn't built-into Plop.  If I'm correct -- that it's not there -- can you please tell me if's possible to use a shell script or a batch file that, when run, will trigger the currently-running OS to reboot, and then have Plop start-up and run the OS that was selected?  I think the batch/script would have to write to a temporary file, in order to preserve this info through a reboot? 

??? But you would know better if this can be done?

I currently have three OS's, 2 Microsoft and 1 GNU/Linux.  So, for example, if I'm checking some old data in Windows 2000 Pro, that I want to use in Mint, I'd like to click a batch file icon in Win2K, that then pops open a command window that offers me 1)reboot into the same OS; 2)reboot into Win7 Pro; 3)reboot into LinuxMint.  I would select #3, hit Enter, Win2K would terminate, the machine would reboot, and then I would next see Grub starting its default OS, LinuxMint. 

Sorry if this has already been answered; then, a link would be fine, to wherever the info is located.  I figured this would have to involve a batch file, to get out of a Microsoft OS, so I searched the Plop subforum for the term 'batch' -- and didn't find anything indicating that this had been discussed.

Elmar

Years ago i wrote for a few companies a tool to do something like this. However, it wouldn't work flawless, because you have to start such a script or program with admin permissions.

Best regards
Elmar

marlosol

Quote from: Elmar on August 05, 2015, 15:29:07 PM
... it wouldn't work flawless, because you have to start such a script or program with admin permissions.
Hi Elmar,
Are you talking about bypassing UAC, on VISTA and up -- and not a problem on the GNU/Linux-end?  If this is what you meant, could the executable (whichever it is) be started as a Scheduled Task (configured to run immediately), or maybe by configuring privileges?  There was also a utility to do this, but I went back to using Scheduled Tasks, which hasn't failed. 

Not trusting Windows System Restore, by itself, the first method has been working for a few years, to allow Lars Hederer's ERUnt to run on Windows 7, making automatic backups at the first boot of the day.  So, it does seem to get around the problem -- would it do the same for this application?

By not working 'flawless' were you referring to the UAC prompts interrupting smooth operation?  Or is there something on the GNU/Linux-end that presents the problem?  I'm guessing it was Windows, since I notice you used the word 'Administrative' and not 'Root'. 

Thanks,
Ron

Elmar

You are right. I was talking about the Windows UAC.

Btw. the tool was started by a service to avoid the UAC problems.

Under Linux, there are no big problems for such a tool.

marlosol

Since ERUnt 1.1 appeared to be the last and final version, the 'Scheduled Task' work-around was one way keeping it going, coded as it was, and will always be.  Expecting a rewrite was out of the question, given the passage of so many years and no update. 

It was also 'out of the question' to continue using a Microsoft operating system, trusting only Windows System Restore ... at least I know the ERUnt backup files won't suddenly disappear, without warning. 

If you think it would be advantageous to move Plop in this direction ... that would be welcome here.  But of course it depends on the time and effort involved.  Not sure if Plop in its present form has sufficient set of command line parameters to make this easy.

I'll keep watching from time to time, to see if there are any new developments! :)