PLoP v5.0.10 can't boot qemu CDROM drive

Started by Icecube, June 10, 2010, 23:33:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Icecube

PLoP v5.0.10 can't boot qemu CDROM drive.

When selecting CDROM from the PLoP menu:
QuoteLOADING CDROM DRIVER
QEMU DVD-ROM
WAITNG FOR THE DRIVE
CD NOT BOOTABLE
But the CD (no-emulation ISO with ISOLINUX) boots fine when I boot it normally in qemu.

It works fine, when I try this in VirtualBox.

Elmar

Quote from: Icecube on June 10, 2010, 23:33:27 PM
PLoP v5.0.10 can't boot qemu CDROM drive.

yes, i know. its not only a problem of 5.0.10. no 5.0.x version does work. vmware doesn't work too. it's strange. i never had any problem with real hardware. i tried to find the problem many times, but without success.

regards
elmar

MedEvil

I tryed using plop to boot a BootCD in the U3 CDROM part of my stick. Didn't work.
BIOS alone can do it.

:cheers:

Elmar

Quote from: MedEvil on June 14, 2010, 16:21:54 PM
I tryed using plop to boot a BootCD in the U3 CDROM part of my stick. Didn't work.
BIOS alone can do it.

what is a u3 cdrom part?

MedEvil

A U3 USB-Stick presents itself as two devices. Or more precisely as a USB-Hub with two devices connected to it. A CDROM Drive and a UFD.

I put a PE into the virtual CDROM Drive and expected Plop to ask me, which device to boot from, like my BIOS, but plop didn't.
After choosing USB, it just ran, like there was only one USB device connected and then desplayed: "Invalid system disk".

My guess is, that it went straight for the virtual UFD.
No idea, why it ignored the virtual CDROM completely.

regards MedEvil

Elmar

cdroms over usb and usb hubs (emulated or real hardware) are not supported. iceqube is talkig about the ide cdrom of qemu

MedEvil

Sorry, my mistake.
I only ever use plop for USB-booting and made wrongly the assumption Icecube would too.

:cheers: