Can you edit PLOPs grub menu?

Started by ichase, January 10, 2011, 21:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichase

Greetings all,
First wanted to say that I am very satisfied with the results I received using Plop.  Having an older lappy that does not support booting from USB, it was the only option I was able to find to boot to my installation on my external.

I am multibooting my 80 gig internal with XP, Ultimate Edition 2.8 (Which is hosting grub) and Mandriva 2010.2.  I have gone into my grub.cfg file and edited it so that my menuentry items are what I want to see on my grub menu.

For example. Prior to editing, my Ultimate Edition entry looked like this.
menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-24-generic'

I simply edited the entry between the ' ' to read Ultimate Edition 2.8.   8)  :) When I boot the lappy that is what I see on my grub menu.  Also got rid of all the other entries like Memtest, and multiple kernel entries so that I have a nice smooth organized grub menu at boot up.

Now I know some will say.  "You should not edit the grub.cfg file!!!!!" but with some trial and error, I figured out how and it works GREAT for me.   ;D

Being as, I will require booting Plop so that I have the option of using the distro's on the external; where is the grub file so that I can edit and clean that up so that I have a clean organized grub menu.

Thanks in advance for your help and thanks for a great tool that works as advertised.   ;)

All the best,

Ian

Elmar

hi,

i don't understand what you want to ask.

best regards
elmar

jan4

Hi ichase,
I too do not understand what you are asking.

You can edit your menu.lst  to your likings .
I have copyd plpbt.bin to /boot  on hd0 and apended

# PLPBOOT
title plpboot
root (hd0,0)
kernel=/boot/plpbt.bin

Now I have a boot entry that can boot the plop bootmanager , is that what you wanted??

ichase

I apologize for not being more clear on my original post.  When I use Plop to boot into my OSs on my USB External HD, where is the menu.lst or grub.cfg file that it uses to generate the menu.
Often times, Grub will display an OS by something other than the name of the actual OS.  As in my example on my original post.  Ultimate Edition 2.8 displays as "Ubuntu, with Linux 2.6.35-24-generic"  Ultimate Edition 2.8 host my grub on the internal HDD.  I was able to go into the grub.cfg file in UE 2.8 and change the menuentry to Ultimate Edition 2.8.

Now, when I use Plop, it brings up a grub menu for me to choose the OSs on my internal as well as external.  Where is the menu.lst or grub.cfg file that Plop uses to generate this list?

Also, if there is a way to add Plop to my grub.cfg to where I do not need to run the CD each time I want to have the option of using the OSs on the USB External that would be great.  :)

Thank you Elmar and jan4 for responding to my post.

All the best,

Ian

Elmar

Quote from: ichase on January 14, 2011, 13:35:43 PM
Now, when I use Plop, it brings up a grub menu for me to choose the OSs

what do you read in this "grub menu"?

ichase

I will have to reply this evening.  I am currently at work and do not have my lappy with me here. 

Thanks,

Ian

jan4

Plop boot manages is NOT Grub, there is no file that holds the menu like grub!

The menu generated ( i think you mean HDA PARTITION 1 etz ) is inside plpbt.bin
If you install plop boot manager to the master boot record you can configure (change names and profiles).
If the only thing you need is USB support I would  NOT do that as the boot manager is a verry useful and powerfull tool but can in this form be somewat risky if you don't know what you are doing .

You can change some settings in the plpbt.bin with a Linux or windows program (see " http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html ")

So you can set plpbt .bin to boot directly to usb.
But first try to coppy plpbt.bin to your harddisk and append a menu entry as I described above.

As you know you may use anyting by the title line
so you may change that as you like for example "title use plop to boot usb" or "plpboot" or anything .