BIOS->UFD->G4D->PLoP->UFD->G4D Partially works on my MoBO

Started by Sadeghi85, January 07, 2011, 21:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sadeghi85

Hi Elmar,

My MoBo is ASUS P5Q PRO, I've done some tests:

|                            USB 2.0 Controller Mode
PLoP Version  |
                    |                      Disabled                            FullSpeed
___________|_________________________________|_________
5.0.10           | "Missing MBR-helper" + Blinking Cursor  |  Works!
5.0.11           | "A20 Debug: C806 done!..." + Restart    |  Restart
Test*             | "A20 Debug: C806 done!..." + Restart    |  Restart

* Downloaded about an hour ago

Is this an incompatibility between Grub4DOS' MBR and PLoP? How come 5.0.10 works in FullSpeed mode but later versions won't?

Thanks.

Elmar

Elmar

Sadeghi85

I've just tested it, the result was same as above, restart in FullSpeed mode and "A20 Debug: ..." message + restart in Disabled mode.

Elmar

Sadeghi85

Hmm... Strange

In Disabled mode, with the first try PLoP didn't find any USB drive, without a restart I tried again and it worked, I then tried two more times but both times it restarted the PC.

FullSpeed mode is fully working now! In fact it's faster than MoBo's HighSpeed mode.

Elmar

Sadeghi85

Doesn't work with either of the modes anymore, behaves like described in the first post.

PS. It's a little late here so I'll reply tomorrow (I will also try all these test versions on an older PC). Good Night!

Sadeghi85

Hi,

The PC I'm working with right now has an older ASUS P5AD2-E motherboard, here are the results for this PC:

|          USB 2.0 Controller Mode
PLoP Version   |
                    |    Disabled                     FullSpeed
____________|_____________________|_________
5.0.10           | Restart                       |  Works
5.0.11           | "Missing MBR-helper"**  |  Works
Test1*          | Works                         |  Works
Test2*          | Works                         |  Works
Test3*          | Works                         |  Works

* Test1 = Reply3 ; Test2 = Reply5 ; Test3 = Reply7
** Sometimes PLoP hangs.

Elmar

hi,
please try the new test version http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html
i think, the a20 problem will be still there, but i don't know

regards
elmar

Sadeghi85

Hi,

Quote from: Elmar on January 12, 2011, 15:40:09 PM
i think, the a20 problem will be still there, but i don't know

Yes, it gives a20 error + restart.

Could you explain what could be wrong with my PC?

Thanks.

Elmar

when does the reboot happen? when you use ctrl-u does it reboot before or after you have to press enter to boot?

Sadeghi85

I've done all the tests on this thread using the Ctrl+U method, it always restarts after hitting enter.

Elmar

Quote from: Sadeghi85 on January 12, 2011, 18:59:09 PM
I've done all the tests on this thread using the Ctrl+U method, it always restarts after hitting enter.

ok, this was a very important info. try this http://download.plop.at/tmp/plpbt.bin

Sadeghi85

In EHCI mode, it restats, in UHCI mode it either hangs when probing the usb stick or shows a black screen with blinking cursor after hitting enter.

Elmar

new test, same link

Sadeghi85

I think you changed the file again, I tested both files, the result is the same as in my previous post.

Elmar

Elmar

Sadeghi85

EHCI mode works now, but UHCI gives a20 error and restarts.

Elmar

Elmar

Sadeghi85

Both EHCI and UHCI restarts, I don't see a20 error or any other error message.

Elmar

Sadeghi85

plpbta20_1: EHCI works. UHCI restarts(without error message).
plpbta20_2: EHCI works. UHCI either restarts(without error message) or shows a blinking cursor.

There is also a problem I haven't talked about before, one of the ISOs I regularly need to run is LiveXP, after using PLoP to boot the stick, LiveXP hangs(keyboard doesn't work), the only time that it worked I was using the test file related to reply #20.

Elmar

is there a special reason why you use grub4dos? the a20 debug message comes from grub4dos. normally, there is no problem with plop and grub4dos, but it seems on your pc its a problem.

Sadeghi85

Well, I need a multiboot stick, grub4dos seems to be better suited for my needs as it can boot Windows PE and Linux based ISOs alike, it supports gfxmenu too. To be honest I don't need to use PLoP to boot on this PC, because it supports USB 2.0 booting, however I sometimes need to boot from other PCs and some of them may not support USB 2.0 or it's disabled in the BIOS and it's password protected, I can reset the password in DOS but sometimes that's not desirable. For this reason I use the boot menu(F8 or F10 or F11) to boot the stick.

I'm using grub4dos beta versions: http://code.google.com/p/grub4dos-chenall/downloads/list
So maybe that's the issue, I'll try older versions and see what happens.

Sadeghi85

OK, I tried a few older grub4dos versions but they didn't work either. I then installed PLoP(5.0.11 2010-10-18) to mbr to replace grldr.mbr(I use BOOTICE to prepare my stick) and tried again but a20 error is still there, this means grub4dos gives that error before PLoP has a chance to boot from the stick. This probably means I can use another bootloader(syslinux?) as main loader to run PLoP and use grub4dos as second loader.

P.S. Booting the usb stick from PLoP that is installed into mbr results in blinking cursor.

Sadeghi85

Update:

I'm now using Syslinux to load PLoP and done some tests:

UHCI never worked, in case of 5.0.10 the message is "Loading plp-5.0.10... ready." and keyboard locks up, using other versions result in blinking cursor and keyboard locks up.

EHCI worked with 5.0.10 and two of test versions(same as above testing with g4d as boot loader), in all other cases it restarts the pc.