plop5.0.5-8 boot usbstick with grub1.97 "out of disk" error vmware/native SOLVED

Started by walterav, December 25, 2009, 20:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterav

A ubuntu 9.10 / LinuxMint8 install on a USB-stick, the installer installs grub2 version 1.97beta.
The usb-stick boots on a native system with bios usb boot support, but when booting it in vmware fusion 3.01, it gives a "out of disk" error. This might be a grub2 bug? I found the following solution:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/grub2/+bug/477430
Quoteyossisynett  wrote on 2009-12-03:       #6

Hi beardedwalrus, I hope this helps. If you can't log into your system at all then you need to hold down shift when you start the computer to access the grub menu and then 'e' to edit the default entry.

Find the line recordfail=1 and comment out that line and the line after it which should start "if [ -n ${have_grubenv} ]".

Then hit Control + x to boot.

Shall I edit the /etc/grub.d/10_linux for permanent fix, or is it a plop bug?

Elmar

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on December 25, 2009, 23:12:10 PM
hmm, i an give you details when you give me the image

regards
elmar

I don't understand what image? Not the whole dd img from the usb stick?I used Linuxmint 8 modified with remastersys.

Elmar

when i understand correct, then vmware fusion is for mac. i have no mac. did you try vmware workstation too?

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on December 27, 2009, 12:33:01 PM
when i understand correct, then vmware fusion is for mac. i have no mac. did you try vmware workstation too?

I will try vmware player 3 on linux... but I already changed /etc/grub.d/10_linux

walterav

I will try vmware player 3 on linux... but I already changed /etc/grub.d/10_linux

VMware Player 3 for linux "ubuntu 9.10 i386" gives the same out of disk error for grub2 usb drives made with ubuntu 9.10 or linuxmint8 installers!

I don't know if it is a grub2 bug or plop bug?

Like I mentioned before it doesn't give a "out of disk error" on my native hardware with bios usb boot. Sadly I cannot test it on native hardware with plop boot manger because it hangs as soon as I choose USB, I think because of cardreader which I cannot dissable.

walterav

Sadly I cannot test it on native hardware with plop boot manger because it hangs as soon as I choose USB, I think because of cardreader which I cannot dissable.

I removed the onboard usb-card-reader and now I was able to use the plopboot manager 5.0.7 from an iso on my native hardware. It gives the same "out of disk error" as in vmware. It boots fine when I hold shift and remove the first 2 lines of the boot option.

So as it happens in VMware player/fusion and on native boot with plop, is it a grub bug and is it about the boot-order?
As soon as grub detects it wasn't the first thing that the bios loads it errors, Grub2 is still in heavy development... well just some assumptions

Elmar

i will test booting grub2 from usb at the weekend. lets see whats happening.

best regards
elmar

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on January 28, 2010, 23:22:03 PM
i will test booting grub2 from usb at the weekend. lets see whats happening.

best regards
elmar

Nice to hear, try ubuntu9.10 or linuxmint8 for a quick install usb install. I'll be ready for testing.

Elmar

i tried ubuntu 9.10 lucid which is using grub2 (1.98).  it was booting from usb with my boot manager without problems. i got no "out of disk" error. i tested it in vmware and on a real machine.

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on January 31, 2010, 18:19:36 PM
i tried ubuntu 9.10 lucid which is using grub2 (1.98).  it was booting from usb with my boot manager without problems. i got no "out of disk" error. i tested it in vmware and on a real machine.

Did you test lucid or karmic? I'll test them both again and report.

Elmar

walterav

Elmar