Plop load before anything else can not be configured or saved

Started by hess6, February 10, 2011, 21:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hess6

I awoke yesterday to find my computer must have rebooted over night and PLOP was installed.  It says I can not save any configuration.  It shows setup, partitions etc. It wll not boot to anything else because plop loads first.  With a windows install disk in the CD, I get a cd error, with the internal and a USB CD/DVD.  the machine, an HP DV 9000 can not reflash the bios acording to hp, unless I send it in for $250.

How do I get this to uninstall or allow me to read something?

Elmar

hess6

I didnot install it.  Could it have been installed as part of a virus or trojan to lock me out of my system.  But I did not downolad it or install it.

Strange?  The only other thing was I had a new Microsoft Phone 7 attached to my system via USB.  Probably irevelant, but who knows?

THanks Bob

Elmar

maybe someone installed the boot manager to run from your windows boot menu as default entry.
what windows is installed?
whats happening when you press/hold F8 before the boot manager is up?

hess6

It is a windows 7 ultimate 64 bit install.  The F8 button has no effect it starts a beep tone.  If I am able toget to the windows boot manager I have a choice of loadind BCD xxx or doing a memeory test.

Elmar

in this case all other menu entries are removed.

read this how to add the windows boot menu entries to boot windows
http://neosmart.net/wiki/display/EBCD/Recovering+the+Vista+Bootloader+from+the+DVD

hess6

But I can not get the system to read the cd to boot from because the bootmanager loads before I get any choices.  I have tried the indtall cd, but the boot manager says CD error.  I treid a USB cd and had the same problem.

Elmar

hess6

I set the bios to boot from the CD but it makes no difference, boot manager always loads first.

Elmar

then either you did not set the bootup sequence correct, or your cd is not ok, or your cd drive is defect

hess6

Again, I never installed it! I don't know how it is configured but I did not install it.  Perhaps I was hacked?

Elmar

Quote from: hess6 on February 10, 2011, 23:48:55 PM
Again, I never installed it! I don't know how it is configured but I did not install it.  Perhaps I was hacked?

what has this to do with my previous answer?

hess6

I have tried multipe disks and two cd drives and no matter how I set the bios settings, boot manager boots first.

Elmar

i can only say, when the boot manager is started from the hard disk and not burned into the bios then you are always able to boot with the bios cdrom support when you set it correctly in your bios. i am not in front of your computer, so i can only work with the infos you are telling me.

do you see something like partition 1 in the boot manager?

hess6

Thanks for the info.  I as trying to find the berg stick to reset the bios so the machine is now in pieces. I'll write in a few days when it is back together.

THank you