Using PLOP to install XP on Lifebook P1120

Started by Gene T., February 22, 2011, 22:00:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gene T.

Been trying to install XP on a Lifebook P1120.  This computer BIOS has no USB support on boot.  It has no internal CD/ROM.  Have tried everything, placed HD in another computer installed XP then placed back in Lifebook it can't find os.  Have been able to use 6 boot floppies for XP install.  Placed all the initial files but after floppy 6 error code unmountable boot volume.  On other occasions I have been able to use the xp floppies and get the cd/rom to install the start up files but when it gets to the reboot part it, I get an error code.  Just wondering I have booted up with plop using a floppy and then picked USB to boot, but it just stops there.    Is there a way to use the plop boot floppy and my external cd/rom with xp cd in it to install on this lifebook p1120?  There are so many questions on the Internet about trying to get an os on this computer has anyone done it with plop and if so can you help me.   Please!!!

I even tried to boot with plop floppy and then use smalldamlinux on a thumbdrive.  But when I pick usb on the menu it starts to load then freezes.  thanks again.

jan4

Hello,

I don't think plop is helping mutch in this case (as plop has no usb cd drivers).

Dit you try installing xp from a map on your laptop harddisk?
To do so place the harddisk in another computer and copy all the cd to a map on that harddisk.
Then boot a Flop and go to the dir your xp install files are and do a setup from there.

If this is not working you can try from an image file of your xp cd on the harddisk.
To do so make on another computer an image of your xp cd and place on the harddisk, and make the harddisk bootable (Win 98 sys or so)
Then install grub4dos on the laptop harddisk en make an entry that mounts the image and boot win 98.
Place the disk back and start, after start go to your (emulated) cd and do a setup.

Another thing to try is get usb dos cd drivers and let your 6 boot flop xp install load then.

Success.