Booting from USB

Started by NJPinator, March 21, 2011, 18:47:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NJPinator

Hi there! This is my first post, so go easy on me...

Basically, I've installed PLoP onto a 2001 Packard Bell machine via diskette with Windows Me installed on my only hard drive, primary partition 2. I'm attempting to boot from a USB stick with Lubuntu 10.10 Live ISO installed to its only partition.

I have 4 USB ports, 2 hosts, 2 ports per host. If I try to boot from USB with anything in HOST 1, (including the USB itself) where my keyboard and mouse are connected, PLoP freezes and becomes unresponsive at:

Loading EHCI driver
searching on hosts
driver removed
Loading UHCI driver
searching on hosts
host 1

However, CTRL+ALT+DEL will reboot my system.

If the keyboard is plugged into HOST 2 along with the USB, with my USB mouse disconnected, choosing USB gives me:

Loading EHCI driver
searching on hosts
driver removed
Loading UHCI driver
searching on hosts
host 1
host 2
Port 1: no mass storage device
   <--- My USB keyboard
SanDisk
   <--- USB make
Cruzer Blade
   <--- USB model
driver removed
Loading OHCI driver
searching on hosts
driver removed

***  Boot error  ***
No boot device found, please retry it

At this point, PLoP is still responsive, but my USB keyboard does not work (i.e. CTRL+ALT+DEL doesn't function, nor does any other key).

You probably noticed, my USB is a 2GB SanDisk Cruzer Blade, and to be clear, my laptop can boot from this USB fine! Maybe it's too old?

NJPinator

Come on! There must be someone who can help me? Surely Elmar, at the least! :-[

jan4

Hello,
I don't think your laptop is to old , my systems are all verry old and some boot some don't (Plop runs fine on all only boot halts after first linux bootloader).

Did you try "Setup" --> "Bootmanager Setup" --> "USE USB MASSSTORDEV"= 02
Or something other than the standard 01?
You can try putting the stick on port 1 and keybord on port 2 too.

I Think you need to try "plpbt-5.0.12-test1.zip" to be able to skip your keyboard (ALT U if i recall correct).

2001 ? is there a ps2 port or is your system to new , if there is a ps2 port use a ps2 keyboard.

NJPinator

Just to clarify, my laptop doesn't have a problem with USB booting...I can do that via the BIOS natively. It's my DEKSTOP that has the issue.

Second, I'm not sure I understand what you wrote in the brackets.
Quote(Plop runs fine on all only boot halts after first linux bootloader).
Also, what does changing the MASSSTORDEV value do? I'll try it anyhow.

And yes, I've tried switching the devices around, but it's the same, just in a different order, i.e.:

SanDisk
Cruzer Blade
Port 2: no mass storage device

*** Boot error ***

I've even tried unplugging the keyboard the moment I press RETURN, but I get:

SanDisk
Cruzer Blade

*** Boot error ***

In addition, could you explain in another post how to go through where to get the test version and "skipping the keyboard", whatever that means. If it just means not detecting the keyboard, I doubt that that'll do anything, but we'll see.

And finally, I have both PS/2 mouse and keyboard ports, but no PS/2 devices. But why use one anyway. Surely the keyboard isn't interfering? Also, I'm not willing to go out and buy one either.

P.S. If you feel like reading the whole journey of mine, and maybe help me elsewhere in the process, read THIS POST on the Ubuntu Forums.

jan4

hello,

First off all how did you get here??
All files and manual are in "http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanagerdl.html"

Plop is not loading the boot sector ther could be a line "Loading boot sector..."
after "Cruser Blade" and then pass access to that loader.

The question is why , thinks I can think of :

1 keyboard preventing loading, i have no usb keyboard so don't know anything on normal boot with usb keyboad ( worth a try without keyboard , change bin to automatic run usb).

2 Scandisk Cruser Blade not compatible with plop ,try to use plop on your laptop with diabled bios usb boot.
and try another stick.

3 some other thinks try  plpbt-5.0.10 and plpbt-5.0.12-test1  and plpbt-5.0.11-2

I think you try'd all 3 usb modes if not try it ! (Force USB 1.1 : No ,Mode 1 and Mode2)
Force USB can skip usb devices 01 could normaly work but if a usb device is seen as Mass storage that can't boot its worth a try to skip one .

Why Ubuntu on my 1999 year computer it is MUTCH to slow, i like puppy much more.

P.S I hope you thrown off the crappy U3 software from your SanDisk Cruser Blade if not i bet your laptop is booting in CD mode and that is NOT suported by Plop.

On All Try "Ctrl U" to have control on boot process USB.
On Test version Try "Alt U" to skip non usb divices. 

Hope this helps.

NJPinator

Not really. I've pretty much tried everything you've stated here in the past (sorry)! And Ubuntu's not supported on my hardware; I'm using Lubuntu from [ http://www.lubuntu.net/ ]. I've kinda lost hope with Plop :( And I've tried a different USB stick. They were:

* Kingston DataTraveler G2
* HP (not sure of model)
* Sony (not sure of model)

And what on Earth is U3? Here's a picture of my stick, if it makes any difference...[ http://willsonec.com/uploads/allimg/100913/1-10091310345919.jpg ]