success booting microSD thru USB card reader but...

Started by zapp, January 21, 2010, 08:57:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapp

new plop user here, I started off trying to get my old PC to boot USB w/plop since the onboard BIOS did not support it but I wandered off before success there

hardware:

Fujitsu laptop w/ICH9 on Core2 duo P7550 @ 2.26GHz and 2.96 RAM, SATA HDD

Vivitar 50-in-1 card reader

2GB Sandisk microSD card w/ USBoot prepaired XPspk3

so far it only boots up by running Plop from CD iso where it detects the microSD as HDD (formatted with HPtool before USBoot XP install) but only when the internal SATA HDD is removed. if the internal SATA HDD is present then Plop running from CD detects it but it does not boot up, hangs at binking _ cursor.

any idea why it wont boot when the internal SATA HDD is present? Ive tried with AHCI mode enabled and disabled

another intrestng detail is the hardisk install using CD iso does not detect the microSD in the card reader AT ALL.

the MicroSD is only detected by Plop when running from CD. why?

Great program! the graphics are stylish, I like that alot. I hope to learn more about it. its way beyond my abilitys but Ive read the instructions several times because I really want to understand what it is really cabable of.

what would help me most would be explainations after each section on the main page that detailed what or why this and that step would be useful. then I could understand what exactly Plops cabailities are and it would allow me to expand mine.

anyway, great work Elmar! I mainly wanted to mention that it is booting a USBoot prepaired XP on a microSD card through a card reader into USB port since I read that it doesnt support booting USB through a USB hub and I think a card reader/adaptor (somewhat like a hub)

cant wait to learn more about Plop!

thanks!

edit: I just noticed that when using Plop installed on harddisk NO CDROM FOUND! the drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM

also, I could not install Plop with Floppy here since this laptop doesnt have a floppy drive.

Elmar

hi.
Quote from: zapp on January 21, 2010, 08:57:01 AM
so far it only boots up by running Plop from CD iso where it detects the microSD as HDD (formatted with HPtool before USBoot XP install) but only when the internal SATA HDD is removed. if the internal SATA HDD is present then Plop running from CD detects it but it does not boot up, hangs at binking _ cursor.

any idea why it wont boot when the internal SATA HDD is present? Ive tried with AHCI mode enabled and disabled

really strange. i have no idea why this happened. maybe it has to do with the bios sata support, but i really don't know.

another intrestng detail is the hardisk install using CD iso does not detect the microSD in the card reader AT ALL.

the MicroSD is only detected by Plop when running from CD. why?

because the install program has no built in usb support.

what would help me most would be explainations after each section on the main page that detailed what or why this and that step would be useful. then I could understand what exactly Plops cabailities are and it would allow me to expand mine.

i don't understand what explanations you need

edit: I just noticed that when using Plop installed on harddisk NO CDROM FOUND! the drive is a Matshita DVD-RAM

i think your drive is a sata drive. the cdrom driver is only for ide cdrom drives.

best regards
elmar

zapp

I did not have "USB Memory" selected as a boot option in the BIOS so I selected this and now the microSD boots with or without the internal HDD. my mistake.

Quote from: Elmar on January 23, 2010, 12:20:25 PM
i don't understand what explanations you need

any explination that would further clarify the point of each type of install and what pros and cons are to each.

Im not saying that what you have is insufficient at all Im just having difficulty understanding what are the many uses of Plop and I want to learn more so this would help me and mabey others too.

it is a real neat and attractive program and a large part of the attraction for me is that you provide great support here.

Im new to boot loaders and management. I am looking at other options too so when I learn more I will have more questions.

Quote from: Elmar on January 23, 2010, 12:20:25 PM
i think your drive is a sata drive. the cdrom driver is only for ide cdrom drives.

best regards
elmar

will there be sata and esata drivers in the future?

thanks again

Elmar

Quote from: zapp on January 25, 2010, 06:21:33 AM
will there be sata and esata drivers in the future?

the only driver for sata that makes sense would be an ahci driver, but i have currently no hardware to develop this driver

regards
elmar

zapp

its a new system, my first new notebook. it has Wireless USB! I hope to boot HDD wireless with it at some point.

I would let you use it if we were locals. I really admire what you do and wish I could learn directly.

thanks