Boot USB from plpbt via PXE with IPMI serial-over-lan (SOL) console redirection

Started by edison, May 05, 2011, 05:18:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

edison

I'm having difficulty booting a FreeNAS USB drive with BIOS console redirection and IPMI Serial-over-LAN enabled.

Environment:

Intel SE7501BR2
    IPMI SOL
    PXE boot via pxelinux
    USB boot via plpbt.bin

Since the SE7501BR2 won't reliably boot from USB, I had to use the Plop boot manager 5.0.11-2 (plpbt). And as booting Plop from a floppy would be unreliable, slow and anachronistic, I set it to boot from PXE with the following pxelinux.cfg/default:

default plpbtusb
    label plpbtusb
    linux plpbtusb.bin

plpbtusb.bin is a standard plpbt.bin configured with:

Video mode = 80x50
    Start mode = Hidden
    Countdown = 1
    Force USB 1.1 = Off
    Use USB Device = 1
    Default boot = USB

In BIOS->Console Redirection, both "BIOS Redirection Port" & "ACPI Redirection" are set to Serial B (0x2F8/IRQ 3), and the rate is 115.2K, CTS/RTS flow control and VT100+ terminal type and the IPMI SOL speed is 115.2.

Without console/ACPI redirection enabled in the BIOS, it boots great. As soon as redirection is enabled, it hangs at "Loading plop/plpbtusb.bin...ready.".

Up until that point, the console redirection seems to work fine. I can get into and configure the BIOS and the pxelinux menus display and operate properly. Setting

serial 1 115200 0x013

in the pxelinux config seems to make no difference whatsoever. The machine hangs at the same point on the physical console, too.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Elmar

edison

Thanks, Elmar. I'll give it a whirl and report back.

Any specific settings I should use or any updates to the config tool?

What changed in this version?