Boots and executes OS loader, but then weird screen artifact 'develops'

Started by daragh, January 23, 2010, 21:12:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daragh

Hi,

I have tried to install XUbuntu from a 'LiveCD' on the USB stick, and also tried to load&run ChromiumOS from the USB stick, but in both cases, while the boot appears to go fine, and the first stage of the installer/loader runs, the execution hangs - I believe at the point the display is changed from text to graphical and/or something about the display is changed in the executing program.

What makes this really interesting to me is that in both cases, a strange artifact develops on the screen. It starts at the bottom 1/4 of the screen and goes very slowly from dark (black) to greys, and while it forms a shape like a box within the frame of the compete screen, it is not regularly formed, and does not come into clarity in a uniform fashion. I.e., it does not look computer-generated at all! Very curious.

I have been running various versions of Windows and Linux on this laptop for years - it is a 10 yr old Sony Vaio PCG-R505EL. Unfortunately Boot from USB doesn't normally work, and the CD drive in the docking station is connected via SCSI, which makes it difficult to re-install new OS's. I think PLoP BM is my saviour, but unfortunately haven't gotten it to run yet :(

Any help would be most appreciated, and thank you for developing such a useful tool!

Cheers,
Daragh

Elmar

hi,

strange

how did you make the usb device bootable?
if you use fat, is the partition in lba mode?

regards
elmar

daragh

Hey Elmar,

it's FAT32. I used Image Writer for putting Chromium on there, but also Ubuntu Live USB Creator (usb-creator) from Xubuntu.

Want me to try something else?

D

Elmar

for testing, you can try to boot ploplinux from usb. maybe it gives us more infos whats happening.