plpbt.bin was loaded via pxe, but only blinking cursor and no more action

Started by pfau, March 19, 2011, 02:23:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfau

Hello,
I want to get IpCop running on an Igel Thin Client. There are only a 32 Mb flash module and 2 usb slots, which can be taken as storage devices (harddisk). The bios can`t boot from usb, but only from the integrated flash storage on the motherboard.
So i got ipcop installed without problems. I used the Ip-Cop netboot image to boot the installation system via pxelinux. Then i finished the install on usb-key. All went right.
But now there comes up the problem....
The ready installed distro cannot boot from usb-key. So i found plpbt.  copied the plpbt.bin to the tftp dir, edited the pxelinux- config- file and started the client.
The pxe boot didn`t run in problems, I got an IP address, pxelinux.0 was found and the kernel file plpbt.bin was loaded.
BUT THE ONLY RESULT WAS A BLINKING CURSOR AT THE UPPER LEFT CORNER  ???
It looked like there was a stuck by executing plpbt.bin.  There was no error message like 'kernel-file not found' or so. It was definitiv loaded, but hung.
I have tried to load several kernels and distros via pxe. All did load correctly and ran (such as openSUSE Live CD, Damn Small Linux, Knoppix, the Ip-Cop-installer, and finally even a small self written fake- kernel (in bootsector- style (0x07c0 - 55aa), written in assembler). On other machines plpbt.bin ran without problems
In the moment I see unfortunately, there is only one option for me, to build an own small linux kernel with included usb drivers and a small initramdisk, which can boot my installed ipcop. but this can take a long time for me, because i am not so experienced to this.
Has anyone a good idea, what could solve this problem?

PS: Many thanks to Elmar for his great work! The bootloader is a very good idea and unique. It is also very stylish, last, but not least.

jan4

Hello ,
I do not know anything about netwerk boot so i can't help you with that!

Do you need or use that 32MB Flash drive?
If not it would be an idea to install Plop on the MBR+ of that flash drive.
First delete (all) the partitions that are there ( if you like you can make a partition but leave some room BEFORE the partition , I have one bigining at cyl:1 head:0 Sect:1 )
Install Plop 1 Full Install AND 2 Rewrite MBR.

Another idea is get the (IDE) Flasdisk out of the case and replace with an Compact Flash in an CF2Ide adapter and install your distro there.

Your 2 USB ports are probably usb 1.0 so putting in an pci-usb2.0 controller could be usefull too.

pfau

Hello jan4,
netboot works for me generally, that`s not the problem.

QuoteDo you need or use that 32MB Flash drive?
no! There is a specially litte distro from IGEL only towards conecting to a terminal- server.
But it is accessible nether via fdisk nor from other applications.

QuoteAnother idea is get the (IDE) Flasdisk out of the case and replace with an Compact Flash in an CF2Ide adapter and install your distro there.
It is no flash rom, connected to an IDE interface. It is static on the board.

The only problem is, that plpbt is loaded, bot stucks with a blinking cursor. I tried to boot ploplinux too, with the same effect.
The kernel was loaded, but does not boot.

Thanks for your post. greetings

jan4

If fdisk and gparted can't see the disk then I see sadly no option to use that disk.
( I have a Wysse winterm with a 32mb ide flash disk with used a dedicaded distro that i could delete).

So hopefully can Elmar say something why booting plop via network does not work.

P.S How do you know that the flashdisk is 32MB when fdisk is not seeing it?

pfau

QuoteP.S How do you know that the flashdisk is 32MB when fdisk is not seeing it?
There is a socket soldered on the board, within a 32 Mb flash rom.
I didn`t see it in any software, but visually on the board.

Perhaps it is relevant....
My hardware is:
VIA ITX Motherboard (Model unknown), socket 370, x86
VIA Cyrix Ezra Processor 800 Mhz.

Maybe the VIA CPU doesn`t support all the 'processor order sets', which are needed for plopbt.

Elmar

hi,
what version of pxelinux do you use?

is there any way to start the boot manager local to see if its a general problem with the boot manager on the computer?

regards
elmar

pfau

Hello Elmar,

Quotewhat version of pxelinux do you use?

I used syslinux from sources (tarball, vers. 4.03). You know, syslinux includes pxelinux.

is there any way to start the boot manager local to see if its a general problem with the boot manager on the computer?

No, there is no other way in the moment, i can`t boot directly (local) from the machine.

There is an onboard floppy connector, but it`s only for special laptop floppys. Inside the machine is no place for it, and to buy one only for testing is not a good idea.

A 44 pin ide connector is inside, too, Therefor i would need a 2,5'' hdd or an ide flash module. This is usually not the way, I want to go.....

I looked for a matching ide flash module, but with enough space it`s very expensive.
To boot from network is the goal for me.

Thanks for reply,
greets pfau.

jan4

Hello pfau.

Is the socket a standard CF (50 pin connector) ? if yes then get the CF card out and look what you can do on another computer reading the flash in a  card reader.

A 44 pin ide connector is nice too!  it does not need to be expensive
Cheapest way get a connector that fits and make a cabel 44 pin ide to 40 pin ide end use an old ide harddisk (exernaly powered by anothe computer or suply for external disk.

Another posibility is use a 44Pin2CF adapter (easily to by for about 7 euro ), and a simple 21MB or 128MB or eaven 2G flash card could not be to hard to find second hand too to test.

regards,
jan4

pfau

hello jan4,
QuoteIs the socket a standard CF (50 pin connector) ?
No, it`s not a normal CF card. It is a chip, put on a socket soldered on the board (like IC- chips).

By the way, i found a 44 pin ide flash module with 1 GB space for 20 Euro.
I will buy a couple of these and use them. 1GB is really enough for IP-Cop.
Then I can test, whether plpbt can boot from this hardware, although I did not need it anymore.
But I plan to use one of the thin clients basically as an internet radio (and of course office usage) for my father.
On this machine I need to boot from network anyway.
Thanks for reply

edison

pfau,

Is USB legacy mode enabled in your BIOS? I was getting the same behavior you describe (blinking cursor) about 9 boots out of 10. After disabling USB legacy mode, it boots every time.

If that doesn't work for you, how have you configured plpbt.bin?

-edison

Icecube

Try with PXELINUX 4.04-pre22 (or final, when it comes out):
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/boot/syslinux/Testing/

Did you use the LINUX keyword, instead of the KERNEL keyword to load plpbt.bin?
LABEL plop
LINUX plpbt.bin

You can also try kexec-loader to boot the kernel from your drive:
QuoteWhat is kexec-loader?

kexec-loader is a Linux based bootloader that uses kexec to start the kernel of your choice. It fits on a 1.44MB floppy, supports most block devices supported by Linux and is easy to use. kexec-loader supports reading GRUB configuration files, this allows kexec-loader to be used as a drop-in replacement for GRUB by merely setting the GRUB installation path.

kexec-loader is aimed at people who wish to boot Linux or any other kernel supported by multiboot off a device which the BIOS does not support. For example, you may wish to use it to boot from a CD-ROM drive or USB Hard Disk that the BIOS can not boot from for whatever reason.
http://www.solemnwarning.net/kexec-loader/

pfau

Thank you for reply, edison and Icecube.
Very interesting, I see.
-edison: Yes, I had legacy support enabled.
But I don`t have the time and no machine here for testing. I will be back soon and test for that.

-Icecube: I'm not sure, but I think, I used the 'LINUX' keyword.
kexec-loader seems to be a very nicefull tool, too.
First, I try with plpbt.bin and the new parameters. If this will not work for me, I taste kexec-loader.