failed booting USBoot XP on HP w/out USB BIOS

Started by zapp, January 25, 2010, 09:15:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapp

I have an old HP Pavillion w/ pentium III (coppermine) 731mhz & 320MB RAM

I have a USBoot prepaired XP that successfully boots in two systems that have BIOS support for USB Booting.

I have tried Plop on CD and on IDE HDD for booting this USBoot XP that I have on USB HDD and also USB Flash.

I have tried it with NTFS and FAT32 and also single partition and with two partitons.

the single partitoned flash drive does not go anywhere, only hangs with blinking cursor.

the USB HDD with two partitions is recognised and starts the USBoot menu and then loads all the files but fails by hanging right after the "zebra stripe" finishes.

this is the point where USBoot ussually starts its "drive guard" in the windows PE

any suggestions what I should try next?

thanks

Elmar

hi,
i tested usboot 2.06 long time ago. it was working without problems. i quickly tried the old installation with the current boot manager and it still works. i don't know whats the situation with the current usboot version.

regards
elmar

zapp

hi Elmar,

I forgot to mention those details (Im still learning)

I am using the latest Plop and USBoot ver. 2.08 which is old now but doesnt have the logo all over like the later versions and 2.08 does not change the mbr at all.

I keep getting this Blue BSOD:

***STOP: 0x00000007b 9oxf88a1528, 0xc0000034, 0x000000000, 0x0000000

Im getting it with many different USBoot USBs that are working elswhere.

any ideas? thanks again.

Elmar

did you try the usboot and plop boot manager combination on another pc?

zapp

no, not the same combination I havnt but I will now.

I have used Plop in a few machines now and Ive noticed that on the older ones the astroids are moving faster than they do on newer faster machines which is opposite of what I expected.

hey, can the Plop CD be removed after boot if it was used for booting?

edit:

I tested Plop CD on another computer that has BIOS support for USB booting and noticed that the USB HDD was shown by Plop to be HDD and USB.

I tested both boot options and booted the USBoot XP from Plop HDD selection and Plop USB selection.

I guess because I flipped the bit to make it non-removable.

just an observation..

2nd edit:
I started fresh with USBoot and made a USB OS from the HP that doesnt support USB booting. on a USB HDD, primary partition, NTFS which also had a second partition (FAT32)

reporting SUCCESS with Plop now booting USB HDD on machine w/out BIOS Support!

however, it will only boot the USBoot XP made from the same machine. I can not get other USB XPs made with USBoot on other machines to boot in this HP even with plop.

also after booting the USBoot XP made in the HP into another machine and installing drivers for that machine it still worked in the HP but then I booted it and installed it in yet another machine and installed that machines drivers to the USBoot XP USB then tried to boot it with plop in the original HP again and now it doesnt boot there??

certainly a driver conflict but no idea how to solve it.

I plan to spent some time learning Ngines and Dietmars methods when I have a chance so I can learn more and be more able to resolve issues.

the good thing is, I now can Plop into USBoot on machine non USB Boot supported BIOS's!

pretty exciting! couldnt have done it without people like Elmar and Gerd that is for sure. You guys are WIN!

THANKS

zapp

Elmar, have you used First Defense ISR from Leapfrog software?

it creates OS snapshots and allows you to save and boot multiple OS stored in the same partition.

I use version 3.20 build 202

the reason I ask is because it has worked everywhere I have used it except on this machine that I use Plop to boot USB.

it boots up fine but wont allow me to switch between OS snapshots. give me an error code when I try and "press any key to continue" when I press key it boots the original OS so when booting USB through Plop I can only boot the main OS snapshot.

its not cooperating with Plop and the software was sold to another company and they dont support this version. the also cut back alot of functionality it had.

before it would store and boot upto 10 snapshots, the new version can only boot 2.

whats really cool is I have been able set up a multiboot USB with FDISR and USBoot.
thanks