Win7x64 Ubuntu Plop Grub

Started by cityguy, June 10, 2011, 03:28:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cityguy

I installed Plop as a way around a problem I was having dual booting Win7x64 and Ubuntu.  Having resolved my initial problem I would now like t remove Plop and boot into Grub which is on SDA2.  The only information I have found regarding removing Plop on the site is to revert back to the original Win7 MBR  which would require me to reinstall Ubuntu to boot into Grub (at least the easiest way in my estimation).  So if you could give me some instruction to remove Plop and boot into Grub as would normally happen in a dual boot situation it would be greatly appreciated.

Elmar

hi,

boot ubuntu and install grub to the mbr

or

boot ubuntu and install a default mbr and set the boot flag to sda2 to start grub when you boot

or

set the boot flag to sda2 with the plop boot manager and then use the "short uninstall" option in the boot manager installer

or

set the boot flag with ubuntu to sda2 and use the "short uninstall" from the boot manager installer

or

create a new mbr with the windows dvd and set the boot flag in windows to sda2 that grub starts (ex. with plppart32.exe)

or

there are so many ways to do that

regards
elmar

cityguy

The way it is working now is that when I boot my machine I get the Plop loader and then I have to use that to get to grub. 

so let me respond to your options 1 by 1

1.  When Ubuntu finally got installed I installed grub to SDA2 and normally that sets the MBR to point to Grub but it didn't I presumed, maybe incorrectly, that Plop prevented or intercepted it somehow.

2.  I don't know how to install a "default mbr" from Ubuntu...as for setting sda2 to start Grub it is but I have to get to sda2 using plop.  Normally when I install Ubuntu and set the boot partition the MBR is set for me to point to sda2 but for some reason it wasn't or it's being intercepted by Plop

3.  I cannot find a shortuninstall in the bootmanager of Plop

4.  The boot flag has been set to sda2 with Ubuntu but it's booting to Plop again no shortuninstall and I'm thinking even if I could find the shortuninstall that it would boot just into Win7 because the connection to sda2 only exists know through Plop for some reason.

5. I really didn't want to get into the windows dvd to create a new mbr because I imagine it's a horrendous process that takes forever to get to and I've got no experience doing it.

While it may seem to you that's there's a multitude of options, to me it's rather complex.  And I really expected since we used BCDEdit to create the link to Plop that we would need to use BCDEdit to remove it.

Perhaps it my misunderstanding of how these multiple boot loaders work together that's confusing me but the way it appears now there doesn't seem to be a connection from the MBR to Grub and perhaps Grub checked the MBR and saw it was non-standard and didn't update it as it normally does.

Elmar

Quote from: cityguy on June 10, 2011, 13:42:09 PM
3.  I cannot find a shortuninstall in the bootmanager of Plop

this is an option in the boot manager install program, and not in the boot manager itself

cityguy

The installer plpbt-5.0.12.zip program tells me that it is not compatible with my version of windows

I didn't use any installer initially I used plpgenbtldr and BCDEdit.

Elmar

Quote from: cityguy on June 10, 2011, 21:30:36 PM
The installer plpbt-5.0.12.zip program tells me that it is not compatible with my version of windows

????

Quote from: cityguy on June 10, 2011, 21:30:36 PM
I didn't use any installer initially I used plpgenbtldr and BCDEdit.

i need more details

cityguy

The installer programs that are in the zip file I listed in the previous post when executed say they are not compatible with Win7 when I execute it on Win7x64 and that I should contact the developer for the appropriate version.

Part II

Per the instructions on your web page it lists how to run using #6 hard disk installation using windows boot for a Win7 system

Elmar

ok, you already started the boot manager install program by the windows boot menu. when i say you have to run the "short uninstall" from the boot manager install program, why do you try to start the install program in a completely different way as you used it to install the boot manager?

cityguy

Because I don't see anyway to run a shortuninstall using plpgenbtldr if that's what you are implying.  There are no instructions anywhere on site that say how to use plpgenbtldr as a method of uninstalling.

From the site:
Run plpgenbtldr
This program searches for the file plpbt.bin in the current directory.  plpgenbtldr generates the file plpbtldr.bin.

This process does not suggest that anything is being done to windows itself only that by running the downloaded program it looks at it's own files and creates a new file along with an ID.  That ID is then input into BCDEdit which WOULD change the Windows boot process.

Which goes back to what I was saying earlier that it seems like their needs to be some method of using BCDEdit to remove Plop from the boot options.

Elmar

plpgenbtldr creates only a small kick starter program that you are able to run the boot manager or the installer from the windows boot menu. it does nothing more or less. its no installer or anything special. its only a small program that creates a small kickstarter file. this file has to be added to the windows boot menu.

so is the plop boot manager installed to the mbr or is it started by the windows boot menu? the only way to install the boot manager to the mbr is to use the boot manager installer. the installer must be started by the floppy, cd, network, windows boot menu or any other way, but IT MUST BE STARTED. there is no other way (except some special ways when you know what you are doing) to install the boot manager to the mbr.

did you install to the mbr or not?

if not, search in this forum how to use bcdedit to remove the boot manager entry or look at the microsoft manual of bcdedit.

cityguy

No I didn't install anything.  I  used the instructions that are on the site to "build the file" and use BCDEdit commands as listed to create the boot entry.

So you don't know what the BCDEdit commands are to remove what was added?

Elmar

i know it, but i think you are old enough to enter "bcdedit" and "remove" in the search form of the forum. you will find the answer.

cityguy

Didn't show up in my search results in fact the only result is this thread.

Elmar

when this thread is on your screen and you use the search field, then the search is limited to this thread. use the search form one level higher