Plop hangs when trying to boot external USB HDD

Started by Artie, July 01, 2011, 03:30:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artie

Hello,

My list of hard drives is Windows XP on primary IDE master drive (/sda), Fedora 15 on primary IDE slave drive (/sdb). I want to add Debian 6 on external USB hard drive (/sdc).

PC boots from /sda, where I have Fedora's GRUB installed in MBR of /sda. I have installed Grub for Debian 6 on the MBR of /sdc.

I inserted plpbt.bin in /boot on /sdb. I added it as a menu entry in grub.conf. I loaded Plop. I selected USB option. It found the external USB HDD. Then it hangs.

I have read the warning for Linux users to:

Install LILO or GRUB to the boot sector of your Linux instead of the Master Boot Record (MBR). The Plop Boot Manager is not a Linux loader and cannot start Linux without LILO, GRUB, Syslinux and similar!

Unfortunately, I don't understand what this means. How can I boot the USB device?

Elmar

Quote from: Artie on July 01, 2011, 03:30:12 AM
I inserted plpbt.bin in /boot on /sdb. I added it as a menu entry in grub.conf. I loaded Plop. I selected USB option. It found the external USB HDD. Then it hangs.

what do you see on the screen?

Quote from: Artie on July 01, 2011, 03:30:12 AM
I have read the warning for Linux users to:

Install LILO or GRUB to the boot sector of your Linux instead of the Master Boot Record (MBR). The Plop Boot Manager is not a Linux loader and cannot start Linux without LILO, GRUB, Syslinux and similar!

Unfortunately, I don't understand what this means. How can I boot the USB device?

this is only important when you install the boot manager to the hard disk. when you start it from grub, then you can ignore it.

elmar

Artie

Hello,

Before you read the messages from plop, I'd like to mention that I installed Debian on the MBR of the USB hard drive. Should I install it on the boot sector of the partition as well?

What I see on the screen before it hangs is the following:

LOADING EHC1 DRIVER
SEARCHING ON HOSTS
HOST 1
PORT1 : DEVICE CONNECTED
HDS 72808
0PLAT20
LOADING BOOT SECTOR...