Plop HDD install questions

Started by zapp, January 31, 2010, 08:42:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapp

what way to install Plop on HDD so that it can boot USB on a computer that has no floppy or CD-DVD ROM drives, only has one USB port and one internal IDE HDD?

thanks

zapp

?

"There are many ways to install the boot manager to the harddisk"

I ask because I am confused about the HDD install. q/a from other topic when I was booting microSD with USB Adaptor through USB port.

Quote from: Elmar on January 23, 2010, 12:20:25 PM

Quote from: zapp on January 21, 2010, 08:57:01 AM
the MicroSD is only detected by Plop when running from CD. why?

because the install program has no built in usb support.

Plop can only boot USB on machines that dont have BIOS support for usb booting from a CD or floppy drive, is this correct?

what I want to do is install Plop onto HDD from USB then boot USB with Plop from the machine that does not support USB booting in BIOS.

my question is which, if any of the "many ways to install the boot manager to the harddisk" would work for this?

thanks

Elmar

Quote from: zapp on February 03, 2010, 02:02:07 AM
Plop can only boot USB on machines that dont have BIOS support for usb booting from a CD or floppy drive, is this correct?

as soon as the boot manager is running, you can boot from usb. its not limited to the cd or floppy version.

Quote from: zapp on February 03, 2010, 02:02:07 AM
what I want to do is install Plop onto HDD from USB then boot USB with Plop from the machine that does not support USB booting in BIOS.

you want to install plop from usb, but you cannot boot from usb without plop. so its not possible to install it from usb on this pc. you have to choose another way like the installation from cd or floppy or network or whatever is available on you pc to start the install program.

regards
elmar

zapp

I can access (read/write) USB on this machine but can not boot USB on it so I think I can install Plop from USB on to this machines HDD the reboot to Plop then boot USB. is this correct and if so what way to install Plop in this senario?

in otherwords, I want to carry Plop on the USB stick so that I can install it to HDD then reboot with the newly installed Plop on HDD so that I can now boot the USB HDD.

is possible this way?

thanks Elmar

Elmar

if you are not able to boot from usb, then you cannot install it from usb

zapp

would it be possible with a CDRom or floppy emulator on the USB stick to run Plop from and then install Plop to HDD?

I dont have experience with "emulators" but if it will make possible this task I will learn about them.

also mabey utilize a U3 USB stick somehow..

thanks

Elmar

what operating system is on your harddisk?

zapp

XP, but I would like this to work on most OS and computers.

I am trying to set up a USB HDD that I can take with me and boot on any computer.

thanks

Elmar

zapp

I had it installed this way before but was not having success but it may have been other issues at the time. I will try this again.

this gives me an idea: I will try to install Plop this way onto the USB HDD and see if I can dual boot the USB Stick!

zapp

I could'nt wait to try this on USB HDD.

it worked! but so far I only have the exsisting OS available in first screen selection.

question: can I boot from a partition that is not a primary partiton with Plop?

WOW Im excited now! this is great program Elmar!

Thanks