Does plop ignore swap partitions?

Started by Dan, July 06, 2011, 08:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

When I had a disk partitioned like this:
1) primary
2) logical linux swap
3) logical linux

Plop showed two partitions, not three. Is it ignoring the swap partition (yes, that would be a good thing)?

Actually I was surprised to learn that plop supports logical partitions at all. At first I thought that maybe plop was treating the logical partitions as a single primary partition. I think I will avoid using logical partitions in the future, though.

Elmar

Quote from: Dan on July 06, 2011, 08:48:13 AM
Plop showed two partitions, not three. Is it ignoring the swap partition (yes, that would be a good thing)?

no, the boot manager does not ignore swap partitions.

what you see as second partition is the extended partition entry in the mbr. the plop boot managers 5.0.x are scanning only the mbr and not the extended partitions. when you want to boot a logical partition, then you have to configure a profile and set the boot flag to the extended partition entry and you select the logical partition with the "L" key. before there comes a false bug post, cascaded extended partitions are not supported. only one level extended partitions.

Quote from: Dan on July 06, 2011, 08:48:13 AM
Actually I was surprised to learn that plop supports logical partitions at all. At first I thought that maybe plop was treating the logical partitions as a single primary partition. I think I will avoid using logical partitions in the future, though.

i used logical partitions only for testing that booting works. in real life, i never use logical partitions

regards
elmar