Harddisk install using Windows boot menu (2K, XP and VISTA)

Started by okocha, January 31, 2010, 23:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okocha

Hi

I wanted to install fresh copy of windows 7 on my PC (older ver. Win XP). My DVDROM don't work and i don't have USB boot under BIOS.
I used PLoP Harddisk install using Windows boot menu (2K, XP and VISTA) and it works great!!

I only have one problem, i'm using Kingston DOK as ReadyBoost and each time that i'm restarting my PC it is automaticaly directing to the DOK without choosing the operation system. Can i remove the USB boot?

Thanks

Elmar

yes, you have to disable the usb boot in the "setup/bootmanager/select at start" menu

regards
elmar

okocha

I tried to do so, but when i'm entering the Setup theres's a popup says that changes will not be saved;  even though i had disable the usb boot, but still the "NO bootable partition in table" appears before the bootmanger.

Elmar

then you are using not the harddisk installed version. you use the binary from the boot.ini. thats different to the harddisk version. to disable the usb boot you have to do the same like you enabled it. use plpcfgbt to disable usb boot

plpcfgbt cnt=off dbt=off plpbt.bin

Quote from: okocha on February 04, 2010, 08:43:00 AM
but still the "NO bootable partition in table" appears before the bootmanger.

i dont know what you mean with this

okocha

Let me start again,
I had installed Win7 over WinXP using these boot manager instructions:
How to use:

1) create a directory like c:\plop or whatever you want
2) copy plpgenbtldr.exe and plpbt.bin to c:\plop
3) start "plpgenbtldr"
    this program will search the file "plpbt.bin" in the current directory.
    plpgenbtldr generates the file "plpbtldr.bin".

if all is ok, then add the boot manager to the boot menu. see below.   
4) Adding to the boot menu
4.1) Windows XP
    add the line below to your c:\boot.ini
    c:\plop\plpbtldr.bin="PLoP Boot Manager"

It worked Well.
I'm using disk on key for Readyboost.

Now i'm having a problem that each time i'm rebooting my PC the message "No bootable partition in table" appears.
I than take out the DOK hitting the reboot butten and when windows upload i'm pluging the DOK again.
I just want to remove the USB bootable.

Thanks for your help elmar.

Elmar

for me, it looks like that you bios try to boot the usb drive. check you boot sequence in the bios. its impossible that it had anything to do with the boot manager.

okocha

I used Plop because i don't have USB boot in my BIOS...

Elmar

no usb boot by the bios, are you really sure? trust me, you can remove every bit of the boot manager from your harddisk, but this behavior will be still there. was your readyboost drive ever connected during boot before you use my boot manager?

when you use the boot manager with the boot.ini (like you said), then the boot manager starts only when you choose it from the windows boot menu. its impossible that the boot manager starts earlier. and usb is only used by the boot manager when you select it in the boot manager menu or you configure it to use usb.

enter your bios with the usb drive connected, check if you see something like usb, maybe "boot usb before internal" or anything similar, check the boot sequence, maybe you see the usb drive.

its 100% not the boot manager. it comes from your bios. the boot manager cannot write this message. i never programmed it.

okocha

You are right, my bad. I don't know how i missed it.

Thanks for all your help