Bios is too small. 98.7%

Started by Diggie, August 11, 2011, 23:42:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggie

Hi everyone!

I have an old thin client that does not support usb booting. Now I wanted to add Plop to the bios, so that I also dont need to install a HDD. Now I got my bios downloaded from my pc. With CBRom I removed created some space by removing screen picture and the energy bitmap.
Then I took the latest plpbt.bin and using plpbtrom.exe along with the compression setting, created plpbt.rom (29kb). Then using CBRom again, I wanted to insert in into my original bios (with the bitmaps removed), but the it stops at 98.7%! So very close!  :-\
It then tells me that my original bios does not have enough free space.

Now I was hoping if it would be possible to alter the current Plop boot manager so that it is just that 1.3% smaller (in a compressed state). Maybe something minor can be removed?
I had it setup such that it boots directly from the usb without a menu, so maybe the menu could be removed, and/or the starfield and windows zoom animation.

I hope someone can help me along! Thanks in advance!

Greetz!

bomz

you may try old version of bios, or change in latest bios module with memory setting to old.
after your motherboard be made some period new memories and processors was created, so new bioses include constants for new devices - and it size became biger and biger

also may be possible to delete some other modules

or may be you may do so
http://forum.plop.at/index.php/topic,1070.0.html
flash plpbt.rom to netcard or some devices which have flash memory you no need
for ex my computer have build net card which i never use.

put here your bios and write in detail what you do

Diggie

Bomz, thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately the points you wrote are not that easy to implement.
Here is the thing. The Thin Client is a Neoware EON, and there arent any other bios versions out there. So that wont help.

As I mentioned I already deleted several modules. In this case the energy bitmap and the startup logo.

According to the award bios editor I still have the following:
VGA ROM: gxvideo.209 (size 32768)
VSA driver: GXM55306.LM4 (size 131072)
PCI Driver: V211.lom (size 53248)
System BIOS: original.tmp (size 131072)
Decompression block: decomp_blk.bin (size 28672)
Boot Block: boot_blk.bin (size 8192)
Unknown items Other (4100:0000): awardext.rom (size 20000)

Now I understand all of the modules except where the PCI driver (v211.lom (yes lom, not ROM), is for. Could this be for the network driver? Or for something else?

I know that it is possible to place the plpbt.rom in the network card, (if this isnt already the v211.lom rom file in the bios), but I was so hoping to still get it into the bios, since it is so close to actually fitting in except for the last 1.3%.

Thanks for any help and or tips!

bomz

my build net card Marvell firmware also LOM.
open your LOM in uncompressed form in notepad and find some words which may indicate it mission

my build net card have in Main Bios of MotherBoard include module LOM for it (net boot), but it have flash memory, it's free, and Marvell have no firmware for this flash memory, but have flasher

But the problem with NetCard - the Native Flasher allow to flash only Native firmware in it. You must find not only flasher for this PCI device but it must know it's flash chip

The idea of plpbt.rom - is to change LAN CARD BOOT MODULE in bios

Diggie

Thanks again bomz!
I did as you recommended, and extracted the v211.lom file. It is indeed the file for the realtek network card.
Since the bios does not allow booting from lan, the option of replacing it with plop is not going to work directly.
Now I could remove v211.lom so that I have more space to insert plop, which would then work of course.

I just have one question. Does the network card still work then? Or does it depend on the OS that I will use?

Looking forward to your reply!

bomz

Yes Net Card still work. If your really need LAN BOOT (which only use big enterprise with many computers or in the case than there is no any other abilities too boot). you may use special floppy or CD which you may find in internet
I have two PCI LAN CARD Intel and RealTek. RealTek (and I think yours the same) have ability to buy flash memory separately. Probably you may flash it with flashrom. when you buy flashmemory see the list of support flash chips

v211.lom mission is only LAN BOOT
this two floppy image for LAN BOOT support most LAn CARDS
http://zalil.ru/31547038
http://zalil.ru/31547040
you may do iso image from it

Diggie

Hi,

sorry for my late reply.
Just to let you know, it all worked out. I removed the LAN part from bios, and placed the plop boot manager, and it works like a charm! Its really great!

Thanks all!

syrup

Hi!

I have the same thin client so I'm really happy to see your post ;D Could you please tell us where did you get the bios file for the Eon? did you download it from the web or did you get it with aflash? and which version of CBROM did you use?

thanks in advance!