hal.dll is missing or corrupted

Started by ivan, September 05, 2011, 09:42:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivan

Hello everyone.
I have a HP computer with windows XP Professional intalled on F: drive. I need to start ubuntu system from a USB stick.
I tried PLoP Manager 5.0.12 and some older versions. When i select windows from plop menu it runs correctly,
but when i start from USB stick i get an error (hal.dll is missing or corrupted). I tried on other computers and it works fine.
I think the problem is that windows is installed on F drive. Has PLoP support this configuration? Cant it be due to another problem?

PLoP was  configured with hiddenUSB option.

This is a copy/paste from my boot.ini file:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\plop\plpbtldr.bin="PLoP"

Can anyone help me whith this problem?
Regards.

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: ivan on September 05, 2011, 09:42:03 AM
but when i start from USB stick i get an error (hal.dll is missing or corrupted). I tried on other computers and it works fine.

please tell the whole boot sequence

pc on -> then what? plop boot manager -> usb boot -> .... ?

regards
elmar

ivan

Hi Elmar.
The method i used is the number 7 (Running without harddisk using windows boot menu).
The boot sequence is: pc on -> appears the windows boot menu showing option 1 windows and option 2 PLoP
If i select windows it runs correctly, is load windows as operative system.
If i select PLoP it should load an UBUNTU live system located in a USB stick, but it shows the hall.dll error.

The process to configure plpbt.bin was to set "hidden USB" with GUI tool, i tried to set it from command line too with the same result.

Thanks for your time.

Regards.

Elmar

remove the entry from the boot.ini and use the new program plpbt4win (or the batch file InstallToBootMenu).

see http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#runwin

more details: http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#plpbt4win

regards
elmar

ivan

Hi.
I tried the last version too but i found these problems:
The bat file have the variable "DRIVE" set to "C" value, then create a directory on this drive. This drive is CD-ROM reader so i get the error message "You have no admin rights....". I set the variable to F (windows Drive) and then i get the error "Unsupported operating system" just after message "Creating boot menu entry" so i think plpbt4win.exe failed because it tries to find boot ini in C:\ in order to add the entry.

Anyway i tried to make the process manually like older versions but using 5.0.13 binaries, and i found the hall.dll error.

Regards.

Elmar

is f: physically the first internal hard disk?

ivan

Hi.
There is only a HD installed, but it has a recover partition before Windows drive.
Regards

Elmar

the unusual install to f: is a problem for plpbt4win and boot.ini. i have to fix this.

however, when i fix plpbt4win then its possible that it still does not work. i don't know any reason why somebody installs windows to f: instead of c:. for now i say staring from boot.ini is not supported for such an installation.