plpbt-5.0.13 - boot it, but GRUB can't boot files from CD
this because wrong device number

Elmar

Quote from: bomz on August 15, 2011, 02:50:38 AM
plpbt-5.0.13 - boot it, but GRUB can't boot files from CD
this because wrong device number

i dont know what you mean?

bomz

I don't know how it say in English. it's be hard to me formulate it in Russian too.

When you using GRUB you may boot file from CD only if GRUB boot from CD.
If you boot GRUB from HD or other device you may find file on CD so
Quotecdrom --init
pause --wait=5 RRRRRRRR
map --hook
pause --wait=5 TTTTTTTT
chainloader (cd0)
boot
it's because GRUB author don't do CD driver by himself only integrate code from SmartBootManager.
when boot sector boot ... it get number of device
now I think that say further
I think this problem need more investigations

Elmar

i still dont understand

and whatever you want to say, it worked with 5.0.8?

bomz

the fact is
this iso
http://zalil.ru/31556306
boot from CD with 8
http://zalil.ru/31556303
but not with 13
http://zalil.ru/31556305
because GRUB don't "see" CDROM

it's be good site have "old(all) version"

Elmar

you mean

plop boot manager -> boot cd -> grub starts -> finds itself on the cd.  5.0.8 works, 5.0.13 not

correct?

bomz

plop boot manager -> boot cd -> grub starts -> finds itself on the cd.  5.0.8 works, 5.0.13 not
plop bm -> boot cd -> grub starts -> 13: grub can't find files on CD as it boot from HD for ex

plop bm -> boot cd -> grub starts -> 8: grub find it's menu.lst and in this case find and map gzip floppy image from CD

Elmar

ok, i understand now. when i have time, i will fix it in the next days.

bomz

hope USB 2.0 real speed

Elmar

Quote from: bomz on August 15, 2011, 11:21:24 AM

hope USB 2.0 real speed

maybe 5.0.x will never support usb 2.0 in virtualbox. its more difficult as you think. and don't forget, you pay no cent for the boot manager (but money would not change anything in this case). so don't always ask for usb 2.0. it will not be fixed faster when you always ask. you can be sure, i don't forget vb. i installed vb today, but currently i have no idea why it does not work.

EDIT: my fault, i thought you are the guy that always asks for virtualbox. however, the usb 2.0 speed will not speed up in 5.0.x. its simply not designed for that.

bomz

I know that there is no any quick DOS driver except native bios - I can't understand why.

I try make USB mouse driver it was very very slowly

Elmar

the plop boot manager has not full usb 2.0 speed because i implemented only the absolutely minimum to get it to work. the code is very optimized and the ram usage very low. all that will be history with 5.1.x

bomz

hope it's size became not bigger 65536

Why plpbt.rom smaller than plpbt.bin?

Elmar

Quote from: bomz on August 15, 2011, 14:19:01 PM
hope it's size became not bigger 65536

Why plpbt.rom smaller than plpbt.bin?

it will be bigger than 64k. you cannot have a small size and full support for a lot of things.

plpbt.rom is not smaller than plpbt.bin

bomz

USB is main. boot PBR is also very usefull. CD and FLOPPY for bios work without plop

plpbtrom 42,1 КБ (43 207 byte)
plpbt      42,3 КБ (43 319 byte)

Elmar

Quote from: bomz on August 15, 2011, 14:42:37 PM
USB is main.

for you, but not for me. why don't you ask your bios maintainer to add bios usb support? they will never do that for old hardware. so be happy with my (basically free) product and that i spent so much time to write it (donations received: 3, earned money with sold licence $0). use modern hardware. they support usb boot. you can easily write a small boot manager without any features that use the bios usb support to boot.

boot PBR is also very usefull. CD and FLOPPY for bios work without plop

and you think cd and floppy needs so much space?

cd driver is 2k big
the floppy stuff needs approximately less than 200 bytes

forget the dream of a usb only boot monster written by me. and i will no longer discuss that.

plpbtrom 42,1 КБ (43 207 byte)
plpbt      42,3 КБ (43 319 byte)

ok, a difference of less than 100 bytes. plpbt.bin can receive parameters, the rom version don't need that because no bios supports that.

bomz

my problem is not in USB support. My problem that ASUS don't include defence from static electricity when Intel it already do, and all owner of the same MotherBoard (some version of it) crashes his USB ports (or full south bridge). I never use USB port's except USB mouse and UPS so my USB port crashes very late, when all owner crash it long ago. I write to ASUS and write that this was ASUS guilty, and I hope for patch which allow change USB ports in BIOS, but they say this MotherBoard not support already. bustards