PLOP Bootmanager with SD-Card support

Started by malptek, August 28, 2011, 13:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

malptek

Hi everybody.
I'm trying to install Ubuntu on 32GB SDHC, but the Problem is, my IBM X60 doesn't support booting from SD-Cards. Is there a option or any SD-Driver to include into the PLOP Bootmanager to trigger starting from SD. I burned PLOP onto a CD and tried to boot from SD, but all I get is the Grub Error: no such device: [UUID of the SD-Card]. This is, because the SD-Card is not mounted and hence grub cannot find the media to start from.

It's almoust 2 weeks now since I'm trying to boot from SD. Would be gread if someone knows a solution.

kind regards,

Elmar

hi,

i assume you use usb to boot the sd card.

Quote from: malptek on August 28, 2011, 13:33:22 PM
... but all I get is the Grub Error: no such device: [UUID of the SD-Card].

when this message comes after you used the plop boot manager to boot the sd card, then the plop part is done correct and it provides the sd card as drive. you have to update your grub config that grub finds the sd card.

regards
elmar

malptek

ohh my mistake.
The SD-Card is connected via the internal card-reader, not USB. My bios can boot from USB, but not from SD-Cards and so I want run PLOP Bootmanager from the USB-Stick and then start the Linux System on the SD-Card.
So the first question: How can I install the Bootmangager on USB and does it support SD-Cards.

kind regards,

Elmar

the boot manager does support sd card readers that are connected internal or external to the usb host.

malptek

hi elmar. thanks for you fast reply.
since the internal card-reader is not connected via the usb-host (otherwise it should be possible to boot from it from bios), there is no option. are there any plans to implement a sd-card support into the plop bootmanager.
I read about installing grub on a hard-disk or usb-stick and loading the modules for sd-cards into the initram after bios. This can then be used, to trigger the boot from sd-cards. here is a article, but it doesnt work for me:
http://www.osnews.com/story/20743/Eeebuntu_2_0_SD_Card_Installation_on_the_Aspire_One

Elmar

Quote from: malptek on August 28, 2011, 19:40:52 PM
since the internal card-reader is not connected via the usb-host (otherwise it should be possible to boot from it from bios),

not every usb bios can boot usb connected card readers

Quote from: malptek on August 28, 2011, 19:40:52 PM
are there any plans to implement a sd-card support into the plop bootmanager.

the usb sd card reader is already implemented, when you mean something like the sdhci driver that is used in the article, then the answer is no.