plp5013&5012 lose data when mass storage is connected on K8M800.

Started by jan4, November 28, 2011, 18:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jan4

Hello,

I have a strange problem with Plop Bootmanager Versions 5.0.13 and 5.0.12 on a K8M800-M2 Rev:2.0 board with Ghoenix Bios.

I installed bootmanager V5.0.13 from a USB stick (booted from bios) , all seems to go ok but return to dos dit not work.
So turned off computer and removed the usb stick, then rebooted.
Plop came up with no data and an emty MBR.
So restored all partitions and created partition entry's and profiles.

Then rebooted and everything seems to work correct (I was able to boot every partiton and usb stick or disk plugged in AFTER plop came up).

The next boot i left the stick in my computer and rebooted , then there came a screen that a partition chanced with old and new data the same so I dit not update (tryed with update dit not differ).
Now the normal boot menu is shown .
Booting any profile result is an emty window and only Ctrl-Alt-Del was possible (clock in right corner is updated).

After reboot (Again without the USB stick) all PLOP user data is gonne (no profiles or partitions ) The MBR is not changed this time.

Tryed several times and with 2 different harddisks, always the same result :
Data gone after a try of boot with a usb stick or usb diskdrive connected.

Dit a dd if=/dev/sda of=160.img bs=512 count=100 on working plp5013 and of=err.img after the error and compared them.
The result  on the err.img ofset 7601 to 7BF3 =all 00 on the other file my user partitions and profiles are there.

Tryed older version installed from cd (5.0.3 working perfect on this system),
Then installed version 5.0.10 from floppy working perfect too so using that now.

Is there comming a new version and can U use this data to probably bugfix it ?

Thanks again for the great bootmanager it is for me still the best I have seen

Regards jan,

Elmar

that problem is absolutely new for me.

whats happening when you install 5.0.13 from cd or floppy?

regards
elmar

jan4

Hi Elmar,

For me is this new too this is the only board that behaves that way!
I tryed installing 5.0.13 from floppy, program seemed to work ok but reboot after install did not work.
After reset the computer dit not start and no plop and again MBR emty.
After restoring 1 linux partition (test HD only 1 partiton there) and booting system again , installed 5.0.12 from flop, that worked ok (Dit reboot and no lost MBR) but same lost of data after a boot with usb stick connected.

regards
jan

Elmar

whats happening when you install 5.0.10 from usb?

when you installed 5.013 from floppy, was the usb drive connected?

jan4

Install 5.0.10 from usb works perfect (back to dos,boot with and without usb stick ok)!

The usb drive was NOT connected when installed 5.0.13 from floppy!

Elmar

jan4

And they act the same only problem with mbr is with 5.0.13

So if installer 5.0.13 is the same as 5.0.10  than I had 2 times by accident not functioning installer.

Elmar

Quote from: jan4 on November 28, 2011, 22:45:14 PM
So if installer 5.0.13 is the same as 5.0.10  than I had 2 times by accident not functioning installer.

no, 5.0.10 and 5.0.12 have the same installer. 5.0.13 is basically the same (install routines and so), but has a modified layout.

you say 5.0.10 works with install from usb
but with 5.0.12 you lost data when you install from usb

whats happening when you start the boot manager 5.0.13 from floppy, do you see the partitions to boot it?

jan4

No, I think I was not clear enough sorry.

With 5.0.12 I lost no data on install ! but at first boot with usb storage connected.

There are 2 problems with 5.0.13 :
1: The installer of 5.0.13 erase the partition table in the master boot record.

2: When booting with a usb storage conneted when power up computer and than try to boot a profile i lose PLOP DATA in track 0 (mbr patition table is not changed).

On 5.0.12 only number 2 exist.

Hope this makes it more clear .

Elmar

is any boot manager version installed on the usb drive?
has the bios a mbr virus protection option?

jan4

Yes there is grub4dos to boot dos from first primary partition fat32 or boot linux from second primary partition ext2.

Yes it has "Bios Protect" but it is Disabled.
The bios has an option "ATA 66/100 IDE Cable msg" it was Enabled , disabled it and the the problem 1 is gone .
The problem 2 still exist .
If leave the stick in after the hang of plop then the menus are looking not ok and no highlighting menus .

Elmar

Quote from: jan4 on November 29, 2011, 13:31:16 PM
The bios has an option "ATA 66/100 IDE Cable msg" it was Enabled , disabled it and the the problem 1 is gone .

interesting

Quote from: jan4 on November 29, 2011, 13:31:16 PM
The problem 2 still exist .
If leave the stick in after the hang of plop then the menus are looking not ok and no highlighting menus .

when the stick is in and you boot, is the stick the first boot device and you use grub4dos to start plop?

jan4

No, boot is :
Try floppy
Try Harddisk ---> other menu internal HD first.
Try CD

So Plop installed in MBR of internal HD.
I do NOT start plop from grub4dos.

First boot device = internal HD (when floppy =out)!