Plop in VM booting live USB

Started by bobthesavage, March 22, 2012, 16:43:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobthesavage

Hello forum, i trawled threads and didn't see anything that quite fit my issue, so here goes:

I have an installation of OS X on a USB stick, and would like to be able to run it in my host OS (also OS X) using parallels, or vbox, but pref parallels.  I read about plop, and hoped maybe that would be the solution, so I created a brand new VM using "other" linux, and pointed its CD drive to the plop iso.

Plop loads up, and then i go to try and boot the USB and the plop window hangs at "Searching on Hosts... Host 1"

Any suggestions on what to try?  My real goal is to be able to run the USB's OS inside host OS so i can update it and maintain it.

--Bob The Savage

Elmar

hi,
press in the main menu shift-u, whats happening?

regards
elmar

bobthesavage

Just tried shift + u.  It says loading driver, but then hangs again "host 1"

--Bob The Savage

Elmar

which vm you are using now, vbox or parallels?

bobthesavage

I am using Paralells and getting the messages I mentioned.  When I used vbox Plop seemed to load the USB device fine, but vbox didn't know what to do with the efi (i think?)

--Bob The Savage

Elmar

why dont you configure the usb drive as internal hard disk in the vm config?

bobthesavage

Quote from: Elmar on March 23, 2012, 14:42:12 PM
why dont you configure the usb drive as internal hard disk in the vm config?

To my knowledge I can't do this in paralells, and vbox requires the use of shell commands (again from what i understand), which I haven't gotten to work in os x yet, to use a flash drive as the virtual disk.  That's why i turned to plop.

--Bob The Savage