How to install plop boot manager 5.0.13 to windows ME?

Started by saransaleen, May 04, 2012, 12:05:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saransaleen

Hi everyone,
I am a total fool when it comes to using plop boot manager. I have an old compaq presario 12XL307 running windows ME os :(. Can you please explain to me step by step how to install plop boot manager to the hard disk of the laptop so that every time I start up I can either choose windows ME or plop boot manager. Please explain to step by step as I have ABSOLUTELY NO IDEA how to install it. :-\
Thanking all in advance

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: saransaleen on May 04, 2012, 12:05:29 PM
so that every time I start up I can either choose windows ME or plop boot manager.

you cannot choose either windows me or the plop boot manager. in your case, the boot manager must be installed to the mbr. then the plop boot manager always starts at first, then you select the windows me partition to boot or something else to boot.

best regards
elmar

saransaleen

[in your case, the boot manager must be installed to the mbr.]
So can you tell me how to install it to MBR ::)?

Elmar

saransaleen

I clicked on the INSTALLTOMBR.BAT file and then rebooted the pc but plop still doesn't open up :( :( :(. Please help me :'(

Elmar

the title in the section of installtombr is "3.4. Windows boot menu (NT, 2K, XP, VISTA, Win7)". do you read Windows ME there?

for ME you have to install from floppy, cd or dos.

saransaleen

the problem is that my laptop cd drive is not working and I cant get any floppies in my area anymore ???. Can you please tell me how to install through dos?  :)

Elmar

saransaleen

I copied the 2 files and then rebooted. pressed F8 but didn't see the command prompt option. In the link above you said in the last to write command.com in the autoexec.bak file. How do I do this? And what will be the result if i Write command.com into autoexec.bak file?

Elmar

Quote from: saransaleen on May 06, 2012, 10:36:00 AM
I copied the 2 files and then rebooted. pressed F8 but didn't see the command prompt option. In the link above you said in the last to write command.com in the autoexec.bak file. How do I do this? And what will be the result if i Write command.com into autoexec.bak file?

2 files? you have to copy only one file

its not autoexec.bak its autoexec.bat. when you dont know whats the use of the autoexec.bat and how to edit it, then i think its not a good idea to change something in the boot process. its dangerous.

saransaleen

its ok as it is an old laptop which is sitting around and gathering dust. Can u just tell me the whole process of installing the boot manager using DOS in my windows Me laptop.  ::)

Elmar

write "command.com" at the end of the autoexec.bat file
reboot
install the boot manager with "plpbtinst" in the command prompt
reboot
when you boot again win me then you come back to the command prompt. enter "exit" to continue boot and remove "command.com" from the autoexec.bat

Elmar

jan4 said that autoexec.bat is not processed at statup of windows me and i know not that this is correct. so you cannot use autoexec.bat to start the command prompt.

saransaleen

Elmar

currently not. i have to write a win32 boot manager install program.

swed

Hi saransaleen,

why you like to use 5.00.13 if 5.00.14 is available.

If you can set in BIOS of your notebook, in boot sequence
Boot first from USB HDD
then you have chance to use plop boot manager

If you can set "Boot first from USB HDD", then
Download from www.partedmagic.com the partedmagic.iso,   actual version
Download from http://www.pendrivelinux.com   Universal USB Installer
or
Download from http://sourceforge.net/projects/unetbootin/?source=directory
the Universal Netboot Installer

Install using (Universal USB Installer or Universal Netboot Installer) on a USB stick the partedmagic
reboot your notebook with insert USB stick
partedmagic will be started
go to:  Extras menue    and select plop boot manager

Regards
swed

saransaleen

Dude thanks for your reply. But I can't boot from usb in bios as it does'nt support it. Thats why I wanted to use plop boot manager.