Main Menu

Debian install

Started by fernand, June 04, 2012, 08:53:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fernand

Hi Elmar, by installing my iso-Cd of Debian, the installer proposed to set the partitions
for beginners, so the installer make the partitions by itself, In this case my harddisk were
established in following way. The primary partition is reserved for windows xp and the logical
partitions are reserved for Debian, two for swap in sda5,6 and 7 and a fat partition. But I want to
install a boot and a root partition, and the installer answered me you install now in a false way, So I returned to the beginners mode but here didn't exist boot, home , var an so on partitions.
What can you propose me to install in a way that the OS Debian don't failed.
Thanks for a sugestion.
Fernand       

Elmar

hi,
i dont know how the installer looks like. normally you have an expert mode. this mode starts fdisk or a similar program to partition the hard disk. you can also set the mount points for the partitions. for the boot partition set "/boot" and for the linux partition set "/". then install debian.

info: an extra partition "/boot" is only required when the linux partition is not reachable from the bios.
you need only one partition that is mounted to "/" and (optional) a swap partition

when you only want 2 systems (xp and debain + one fat) then your partitions could look like

4 primary partitions:
1 xp  (sda1)
2 debian "/" (sda2)
3 fat (sda3)
4 swap (sda4)

however if you dont want to repartition and format or convert or whatever, then any other combination is also possible. you can also use logical partitions. it depends on you what you prefer.

best regards
elmar

fernand

Thanks for the info, the most important the system works :D 

manbearpig

Quote from: fernand on June 04, 2012, 11:36:54 AM
Thanks for the info, the most important the system works :D

what do your partitions look like as of now???

fernand

Hi,
I haven't change my partitions for now because the system is running.
On the first primary partition it's installed windows xp. Then on the logical partitions
there are Linux the swap an one for the Fat.
best regards

manbearpig

Quote from: fernand on June 05, 2012, 10:53:28 AM
Hi,
I haven't change my partitions for now because the system is running.
On the first primary partition it's installed windows xp. Then on the logical partitions
there are Linux the swap an one for the Fat.
best regards

well it's good you got it workin for ya , nice to have it work out huh???? lol