Plop Bootmanager Help Please

Started by DreamX, February 15, 2010, 16:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamX

Hello I'm new here!

After searching for many hours and many troubles I came across your site...I have an old dell laptop which has no cd or dvd drive and it does not support usb booting. Am I right in thinking using plop bootmanager I may be able to get this laptop to boot from a usb device? If so what is the method?

Thanks for your help :)

Elmar

hi, i assume you are using windows. if yes then you can use this method to test the boot manager
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#runwin

regards
elmar

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 18:21:26 PM
hi, i assume you are using windows. if yes then you can use this method to test the boot manager
http://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager.html#runwin

regards
elmar

Hi,

Thanks but the laptop in question has no operating system installed, what are my options elmar?

Thanks

Elmar

Quote from: DreamX on February 15, 2010, 18:44:46 PM
Thanks but the laptop in question has no operating system installed, what are my options

booting from network or floppy

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 18:47:51 PM
Quote from: DreamX on February 15, 2010, 18:44:46 PM
Thanks but the laptop in question has no operating system installed, what are my options

booting from network or floppy

Thanks again elmar but this computer has no floppy drive...could you guide me through the network install? my laptop supports pxe booting but i am unsure on how to set up a tftp server on my pc?

Thanks

Elmar

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 18:55:32 PM
see here
linux: http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux.html#pxel
windows: http://www.plop.at/en/ploplinux.html#pxew

you don't have to setup the complete ploplinux

Once again thank you for the trouble, will this work from vista as that is what i am using?

Thanks

Elmar

i think so, but i haven't tried it with vista.

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 19:03:09 PM
i think so, but i haven't tried it with vista.

Ok thankyou I will try this, do i plug the lan cable directly from the old laptop into the lan port on my pc?

Thanks

Elmar

if you connect both pc's directly, then you need a crossed network cable

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 20:01:02 PM
if you connect both pc's directly, then you need a crossed network cable

Hi thanks for the reply...i've followed the tutorial directly but I am struggling on one small area...what exactly do i fill in the tftpd32 program under the dhcp server tab and where do i get this info?

thanks

Elmar

you only have to setup the ip pool address start and the boot file at the dhcp tab

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 21:00:35 PM
you only have to setup the ip pool address start and the boot file at the dhcp tab

And does that ip pool address have to be the one in your tutorial (10.0.0.100) ?

Elmar

it depends what network you are using. if you link only your both pc's together then set the ip address of your vista pc to 10.0.0.1 and the ip pool to 10.0.0.100

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 22:06:30 PM
it depends what network you are using. if you link only your both pc's together then set the ip address of your vista pc to 10.0.0.1 and the ip pool to 10.0.0.100

How do i set my vista ip address to 10.0.0.1?

Elmar

if you dont know it, then search the web

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 22:24:39 PM
if you dont know it, then search the web

wow that actually worked, so what happens next? how can i install xp or an operating system on this laptop?

Elmar

you have to prepare the usb device to start the windows installer from usb

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 15, 2010, 22:47:47 PM
you have to prepare the usb device to start the windows installer from usb

Ok so do i need to install plop linux to the hard drive first? Or do I install plop bootmanager to the hard drive? then boot the xp installation from usb?

I really would like to say thank you for all your help I really do appreciate it!  ;D

Elmar

no, you don't have to install plop linux and you don't have to install the boot manager. start it with "plp" and use usb boot.

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 16, 2010, 07:41:48 AM
no, you don't have to install plop linux and you don't have to install the boot manager. start it with "plp" and use usb boot.

Hi,

I have got to this part but I am having trouble booting from the usb...it seems to hang at this point?

Elmar

how does it hang? what do you see?

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 16, 2010, 17:43:01 PM
how does it hang? what do you see?

Flashing cursor...then freezes. Perhaps I am making my usb incorrectly?

Elmar

or the boot manager does not work on your computer

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 16, 2010, 20:03:44 PM
or the boot manager does not work on your computer

Perhaps...Is there an easy way to install windows xp on this laptop now i have plop linux running through pxe?

Thanks

Elmar

there are various ways, but i don't know if they are easy. maybe its too much to explain.

DreamX

Quote from: Elmar on February 16, 2010, 20:14:20 PM
there are various ways, but i don't know if they are easy. maybe its too much to explain.

I would enjoy you to tell me.

Thanks

Elmar