Custom driver load idea + Laptop problem

Started by rallisf1, June 29, 2012, 16:44:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rallisf1

Hi there,

I see many people asking for features like boot from usb3, pcmcia sd etc. Instead of asking for all those features to be included in core wouldn't it be nice to make a little framework where we could add our own drivers. Lets say we have a "drivers" folder at the root of our plop disk and inside we put the driver files we want with some custom config file indicating which files to load and what type of drivers they are (e.g. USB/Network/Atapi etc).

Anyway that was just a thought. Right now i am having issues with an Acer Aspire 1604 laptop with a broken IDE connector and no USB/PCMCIA support in bios. I tried installing and booting windowss thourhg usb but i get blue screen errors because of the bios being incompatible. Now i bought some PCMCIA Sata adapter but Plop does not recognise it to boot (only PCMCIA USB is supported as far as i know) and i'm left completely stuck so i would appreciate any suggestions.

P.S. PE usb boot works fine but i need full windows capabilities, not PE. The BSOD i get with normal windows installation is 7E indicating HDD but i have modified my XP setup disk to identify usb drives and also tested in my desktop where it works great so i'm sure this is caused by the Bios.

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: rallisf1 on June 29, 2012, 16:44:02 PM
I see many people asking for features like boot from usb3, pcmcia sd etc. Instead of asking for all those features to be included in core wouldn't it be nice to make a little framework where we could add our own drivers. Lets say we have a "drivers" folder at the root of our plop disk and inside we put the driver files we want with some custom config file indicating which files to load and what type of drivers they are (e.g. USB/Network/Atapi etc).

sure, it would be possible to create a software interface for the boot manager that it can load drivers. but as last year nobody wanted to pay few euro (only for commercial use, non-commercial was always free) for the boot manager, such a feature or additional development will (from my current point of view) never come.

Quote from: rallisf1 on June 29, 2012, 16:44:02 PM
Anyway that was just a thought. Right now i am having issues with an Acer Aspire 1604 laptop with a broken IDE connector and no USB/PCMCIA support in bios. I tried installing and booting windowss thourhg usb but i get blue screen errors because of the bios being incompatible. Now i bought some PCMCIA Sata adapter but Plop does not recognise it to boot (only PCMCIA USB is supported as far as i know) and i'm left completely stuck so i would appreciate any suggestions.

P.S. PE usb boot works fine but i need full windows capabilities, not PE. The BSOD i get with normal windows installation is 7E indicating HDD but i have modified my XP setup disk to identify usb drives and also tested in my desktop where it works great so i'm sure this is caused by the Bios.

how did you modify the xp setup disk?

best regards
elmar

rallisf1

Quote from: Elmar on June 29, 2012, 17:28:35 PM
sure, it would be possible to create a software interface for the boot manager that it can load drivers. but as last year nobody wanted to pay few euro (only for commercial use, non-commercial was always free) for the boot manager, such a feature or additional development will (from my current point of view) never come.

I understand that this requires a lot of your time and it only sounds fair that you get paid for it, even through donation. Too bad people did not support your project. I heard about it just a couple months ago.

Quote from: Elmar on June 29, 2012, 17:28:35 PM
how did you modify the xp setup disk?

I used the guide here: http://www.ehow.com/how_4853554_install-xp-external-hard-drive.html
and also tried XP USB edition found on torrent. Both work fine on my Quad-core desktop but give BSOD 7E or 21a on my old laptop. I tried both USB stick and USB HDD and the only reason i can think of is that the bios shuts down USB during device recognision in windows setup. That's why i bought the PCMCIA sata card to try out which completes the first part of the setup (textmode) but I cannot boot from there.

:-\

Elmar

try the tool WinToFlash to create a xp install usb drive
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

maybe it works better

rallisf1

Quote from: Elmar on June 29, 2012, 21:29:56 PM
try the tool WinToFlash to create a xp install usb drive
http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

maybe it works better

This tool i'm afraid is to create a USB setup disc, not install OS to the USB, For this job i use WinSetupFromUSB which is much better and supports all kinds of boot discs (Windows, PE, Linux Live CDs, Dos etc)

Elmar

ohh, i thought you want to install xp from usb

when you want to run xp from usb then try http://www.usboot.org

i tested it years ago only to see if it works, and it worked.