For starters on Win XP

Started by ms, January 20, 2014, 11:11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ms

Would appreciate early response.

1. In plpbt-5.0.14.zip > Windows folder > does the file 'plpbt4win.exe' contain 'InstallToMBR.bat' and 'InstallToBootMenu.bat' batch files"?

Simply put, for cloning/imaging my laptop c;/ to non-flash USB drive should I simply run plpbt4win.exe? or also InstallToMBR.bat & InstallToBootMenu.bat?

2. After installation, is plop retained in the BIOS after the laptop drive has been formatted? This is important since I need to copy image from USB to the C:/. I can't seem to find any topic regd this.

3. I have partitioned the drive using Windows Xp Pro > 'Manage >Disk Management' tool, NTFS / Active / Primary. The second partition contains the disk image. Is this the right procedure for BIOS to detect the drive?

Thanks in advance.
ms

jan4

Hello ms,

First I do not know about 'plpbt4win.exe' so can't help you with that.

2. After installation plop is NOT in the BIOS !!!
If you want that you must change the BIOS (append plop to bios ) and flash the new made bios.
If you installed plop in the MasterBootRecord (MBR) you can format any partition without loosing plop (it is in track 0 of that disk) .
If you install an operating system it can be that plop-bootmanager is not running (as master boot record is overwritten ) You can reactivate with the plop-boot cd , your settings are still there.

If it is in any boot manager then it will be gone after format.

3. I don't understand !
Bios is trying to boot an extended bios (can be plop in the bios or netwerkboot) then the MBR of the drive or usbdrive or cd or any bootable device supported  set in the bios sequence .
Then plop is started or the boot loader from the medium (HD boot loader passes boot to partition with boot flag set )
Then the boot loader on the partition is started.

P.S if you only need to boot USB drive to set an image back the install plop-bootmanager to MBR , Format the partition(s) you like and after reboot you will see plop-bootmanager and be able to start from usb to put your image back.

Hope this helps.

ms

Thank you. That helps. To be more specific regd. pt.3:

I have NTFS formatted the USB non-flash drive (1 TB) & created 2 partitions.

The primary partition is 1 GB which holds 3 files ntldr, NTDETECT.COM &
boot.ini copied from my C:/. The 2nd partition contains a cloned image of my
win xp OS.

My question is after installing plop in the MasterBootRecord & selecting USB,
will the BIOS enable  me to access USB drive contents?

For example: There are now 2 OSs. 1 on C:/ & 2 > its clone on USB partition 2.

After I select USB in plop, on boot, will it prompt me to choose which OS I'd like to access based on the 3 files (ntldr, NTDETECT.COM &
boot.ini) in partition 1?
OR does this partition 1 need some more specific prep files for accessing the cloned OS.

Thanks again.

Elmar

Quote from: ms on January 20, 2014, 21:21:42 PM
My question is after installing plop in the MasterBootRecord & selecting USB,
will the BIOS enable  me to access USB drive contents?

no, the boot manager itself provides the usb boot. your bios is still unable to boot usb drives.

After I select USB in plop, on boot, will it prompt me to choose which OS I'd like to access based on the 3 files (ntldr, NTDETECT.COM &
boot.ini) in partition 1?

when you use the usb boot of the boot manager, then the partition with the active boot flag on the usb drive will be booted.

OR does this partition 1 need some more specific prep files for accessing the cloned OS.

xp itself is unable to boot from usb. you need to modify it with 3rd party software to make it bootable from usb.

you have to test that the os on your usb drive is able to boot before you remove or replace the os on your hard disk!

regards
elmar

ms

Thank you for the clarifying. Am following much better.

That should help me get stated. Quick request: Could you pls suggest an easy/simple 3rd party USB bootable software that works well with Plop.

Appreciate.

ms

I found the following:

>>The RMPrepUSB download includes grub4dos and RMPrepUSB will install grub4dos onto a drive either to the MBR (Master Boot Record) or PBR (Partition Boot Record). <<

If I run this will it  overwrite the 'InstallToMBR.bat' and 'InstallToBootMenu.bat' in plpbt-5.0.14 that has been installed?

Much thanks in advance.

Elmar

i think they mean the mbr of the usb drive. if its the mbr of the usb drive, then its no problem.

regards
elmar

ms

You're right. It needs to be installed on the usb drive. I just found that.

Thanks again.