Shutdown Option does not work on some Models ? Why is that ?

Started by Mario, February 26, 2014, 14:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mario

Hey,

I usually never use the Shutdown Option of plop, but today I needed to try it, as I only wanted to check something in the BiOS. While leaving the BiOS I thoughz...hey...I can now shutdown it via plop...

But it does not work. It does nothing when I press Enter/Return.

It does work on a Win 8.1 Sony Vaio from 2009, it does work on a 14 year old Vaio using WinXP. It does work on a Acer Aspire One (10") from 2012.

But my Acer Aspire 9500 using Win 8.1 (2009) simply does nothing if I press Enter/Return on the Shutdown Option. So I have to Ctrl+Alt+Del.

I searched the forum and I used google. Nothing that delivered an idea to this phenomenon.

Is there a trick ? What could be the problem ?

Regards,
Mario

Elmar

hello,

the plop boot manager tries to shutdown a computer with the APM (advanced power management) functions provided by the bios. APM is meanwhile very old and replaced by ACPI. when your bios doesnt support the old APM, then nothing happens when you press enter at the shutdown menu entry.

best regards
elmar

Mario

Awwww, too bad :)

BiOS doesnt offer enable/disable ACPI.

I used google and found that I can try the following on reinstallation of Windows :

At the part where it says "Press F6 to install third party stuff" I should press F5 and choose "Standard Computer". That should not install ACPI.
(right now I only remember that step from XP and 7)

But I guess, as APM would still be missing on this laptop, this step wouldnt make any difference to plop, am I right ? ^^

Elmar