usb-stick with syslinux boots perfect but grub2 hangs old hardware only...

Started by walterav, February 22, 2010, 00:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walterav

Syslinux boots great, but grub2 always hangs on old hardware. Grub2 doesn't even get to the menu...
Its a Fujitsu Siemens notebook I mailed you specs / lspci etc before.

Strange enough grub2 boots fine on new hardware with bios support and within vmware player with plop boot manager.

Any idea's?

Elmar

Quote from: walterav on February 22, 2010, 00:04:51 AM
Syslinux boots great, but grub2 always hangs on old hardware. Grub2 doesn't even get to the menu...
Its a Fujitsu Siemens notebook I mailed you specs / lspci etc before.

do you mean grub2 started by the boot manager or grub2 started from the hard disk?

regards
elmar

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on February 22, 2010, 10:21:08 AM
do you mean grub2 started by the boot manager or grub2 started from the hard disk?

I mean grub2 located on the usb-stick loaded by the plop boot manager which is run from floppy. Plop boot manager loads isolinux perfect but hangs on grub2. Only on older hardware I mentioned before. VmwarePlayer with plopbootmanager and usb-stick with grub2 boots ok.

Elmar

does grub2 work on the old hardware when it is installed on the harddisk?

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on February 23, 2010, 12:13:19 PM

Yes it does work on a native harddisk booting ubuntu 10.04 alpha2 server edition.
But I also see that the grub menu does not show up... So I'll try without a menu.

Also chainloading grub2 from isolinux gives the same error, after I select chainload load from isolinux menu it says loading grub...

walterav

Quote from: walterav on February 23, 2010, 13:14:24 PM
Quote from: Elmar on February 23, 2010, 12:13:19 PM

Yes it does work on a native harddisk booting ubuntu 10.04 alpha2 server edition.
But I also see that the grub menu does not show up... So I'll try without a menu.

Also chainloading grub2 from isolinux gives the same error, after I select chainload load from isolinux menu it says loading grub...

I'll try the new grub from ubuntu 10.04 on usb instead the one from 9.10 which is used right now and let you know.

Icecube

QuoteAlso chainloading grub2 from isolinux gives the same error, after I select chainload load from isolinux menu it says loading grub...
If you see "loading grub..." and it hangs, this can be the fault of grub2.

When I boot from USB (syslinux installed and detected as hd0 by the BIOS) and I boot the internal hard disk (seens as hd1) with chain.c32
LABEL grub2
MENU LABEL Boot grub2 from hd1 (internal hard disk)
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd1

grub2 load fine.

When I swap drives with chain.c32 (switch internal hard disk (seen as hd1) with USB drive (seen as hd0)), so the internal hard disk is seen as hd0 and the USB drive as hd1, grub2 hangs at "loading grub..."
LABEL grub2
MENU LABEL Boot grub2 from hd1 (internal hard disk)
COM32 chain.c32
APPEND hd1 swap