WinXP/Win7 - plop boot manager installation aborted !?

Started by Efly2005, February 19, 2014, 20:02:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Efly2005

Hi Forum !  :)

As my BIOS doesn't support booting from USB-devices I tried to install "plop boot manager" for doing that job. For that reason I followed up the installation-instructions step-by-step but unfortunately I failed.  :(

On my PC there are installed WinXP (first installation) and Win7 (second installation on separate partition), managed by windows boot manager.

For installing "plop boot manager" I chose installation from floppy-disk using plpbtin.img. After booting from floppy-disk I decided "Full boot manager install" but got following information:
"Installation aborted. Press any key to abort".

What is running false ? Please advice !  :-\

regards / Hans-Peter

Efly2005

Hi again !

Some viewed my thread, nobody interrested in giving me help ?  :(

thks and regards / Hans-Peter

Elmar

hello,

when you boot from the floppy then you are working with the english keyboard layout. the installer accepts to install only the lower case "y". for security reasons is any other key a "no". you have to press "z" when you are working with a german keyboard.

best regards
elmar

Efly2005

hello Elmar,

many thks for your kind response and please excuse being rather late !
I will try the 'mysterious' reference to use 'z' instead of 'y' - but later on, when I became more
familiar with the correct handling (warning ... risk ... to continue !)
I decided to approach by starting yr 'plop boot manager' with a floppy-disk, plpbt.img installed on it.

I have to mention that I am using USB-mouse and USB-keyboard  !!!
===================================================================
First boot-entry in BIOS changed to floppy. USB-stick Plugged in.
When I boot from floppy I enter 'plop boot manager menu'.
Here I find following entries:
HDA PARTITION  ............ my hard-disk
FLOPPY
CDROM
USB
choosing HDA PARTITION .............. booting from my hard disk via windows boot manager, o.k.
             FLOPPY  ................ rebooting 'plop boot manager', o.k.
             CDROM   ................ enter a disk to boot from, o.k.
             FLOPPY  ................ here problems begin - USB-stick always ignored !!!!

After playing around I found out 'Ignore USB devices'(setup > Bootmanager) must be changed to '01'. Then -
after pressing 'Ctrl u'- following massage appears:

my comments:
loading ehci driver
searching on hosts
host 1
port3: device connected       my hard disk ?
port4: device connected
sandisk                               my USB-stick !!!!!!!!!! o.k.
cruzer edge
Enter = use device        (highlighted green) pressing of keys ignored !!! (USB-mouse & keyboard ??)
s = skip                                      - " -

So I am sure USB-stick is identified (with 'Ignore USB devices = 00' it's not) !!!

Now I want to continue in feeding the USB-stick with OS's like freedos, win-XP, win-7 or perhaps
rescue-programs (e.g. Kaspersky rescue cd, paragon backup & recovery rescue cd etc.) to boot from.
But I don't know what steps to make and programs to use !?
I tried several methods ( 'ISO to USB', copying files from bootable CDROM etc.) but unfortunately without
success (booting from USB-stick hangs up, black screen etc.). I installed 'grub4dos' on USB-stick, reached
the starting menu but couldn't continue - pressing of keys ignored !!!

May I ask you again for your kind assistance ?

Many thks and regards / Hans-Peter

Elmar

Quote from: Efly2005 on March 04, 2014, 08:37:13 AM
I installed 'grub4dos' on USB-stick, reached
the starting menu but couldn't continue - pressing of keys ignored !!!

this is because the usb keyboard is not working as soon as you use the boot manager usb driver. the usb keyboard will work again when a operating system with a usb keyboard driver has been started (linux, windows, ...). you have to add a timeout and a default boot option to the grub4dos config.

regards
elmar

Efly2005

hello Elmar,

That is what I played around for a while (very troublesome) ! ???

With 'Bootable USB drive preparation tool' from RMPrepUSB.com, 'Tutorials, How To's and Guides' ,#95 - Make a bootable Windows Recovery USB Flash drive from
a Windows 7 system' I found an application which runs perfectly with 'plop boot manager' ! Wow !!  ;D ;D
After booting, keyboard and mouse operate without problems !!

menu.lst's - content:
timeout 1   ......   necessary setting because keyboard dosn't work that time

title WinRE\nBoot to Windows System Recovery   .... only one entry, others senseless
chainloader /bootmgr

To make handling more comfortable I took the option starting 'plop boot manager' from windows boot menue ("Plop Boot Manager"-entry in windows boot menue) instead of floppy-disk.

So far so good, I am happy for that success !!  ;D

But it seems me a rather complicated procedure.  ???
How to handle other rescue-programs (e.g. Kaspersky rescue cd, paragon backup & recovery rescue cd etc.) where there is no assistance by RMPrepUSB ?
Is there no possibility to simply 'install' ISO-files on USB-stick and make it bootable for the use with 'plop boot manager'?

Your further kind advice is much appreciated !

regards / Hans-Peter

Elmar

Quote from: Efly2005 on March 06, 2014, 17:28:53 PM
How to handle other rescue-programs (e.g. Kaspersky rescue cd, paragon backup & recovery rescue cd etc.) where there is no assistance by RMPrepUSB ?

i never used one of those programs.

regards
elmar

Efly2005

hello Elmar !

again ....

Is there no possibility to simply 'install' ISO-files on USB-stick and make it bootable for the use with 'plop boot manager'?

regards / Hans-Peter

Elmar

Quote from: Efly2005 on March 08, 2014, 09:41:23 AM

when you want a yes or no answer, then i have to say no.

a system that boots from cd is not automatically able to boot from usb. there are various ways to make a system usb bootable. but when a system doesnt support usb boot or alternatively it doesnt copy itself completely into the ram during the early boot stage, then its not possible to boot from usb.  there is also a difference between boot from iso on usb and boot directly from usb.

a lot of systems are able to boot from usb with the help of the great grub4dos. i think there are also some tools that helps you to configure grub4dos to boot systems from usb. but you have to search them on the web.

regards
elmar

Efly2005

hello Elmar !

Thks a lot, have a nice day !

regards / Hans-Peter