Off topic: is kernel important when compiling for older hardware?

Started by zapp, March 07, 2014, 07:06:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zapp

I hope you dont mind my off topic post here.

I want to run the "basicexamples.tar.gz" and "ssmpptwebpageexample.tar.gz" found here: http://westyd1982.wordpress.com/

on a WRT54GS router that has been modified with 64mb RAM and up to 32GB SDcard storage capacity so that I can transmit data collected from a remote solar generator station.

the router runs DDWRT firmware that has a 2.4.37 Linux Kernel. I need to learn how to compile the above tar.gz into an .ipk  see here: http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/FAQ/Optware-uClibcBuild so that I can use it but also it will be available to others and it is something that as far as I am aware is currently not available commercially or privately.

my main question is: is it necessary or advantageous to compile on an OS with the same kernel as the target?

but also looking for any tips or suggestions on how I can go about making this work because I have never compiled anything. I have very limited linux experience and the author of the code I need is mostly unavailable to help me with it.

Thanks

Elmar

Quote from: zapp on March 07, 2014, 07:06:21 AM
my main question is: is it necessary or advantageous to compile on an OS with the same kernel as the target?

that depends on what you want to do.

in your case you need a cross compile environment that is compatible with the processor of your router and the used libc. the wrt54gs router has a big community, so it should not be too difficult to find informations.

zapp

Quote from: Elmar on March 08, 2014, 08:38:16 AM

that depends on what you want to do.

in your case you need a cross compile environment that is compatible with the processor of your router and the used libc. the wrt54gs router has a big community, so it should not be too difficult to find informations.

thanks Elmar, I will ask the WRT community about "cross compile environment that is compatible with the processor of your router and the used libc" to learn more about this but most there have moved on to newer hardware and questions about the original hardware that most of these new branches evolved from seem easy to get overlooked.

I am learning more about linux with these old routers than anywhere else.

working with the WRTs I sometimes need file browser capability.

I use PlopLinix but so far I dont know how to browse inside the router with it so that I can edit, move, delete, copy, paste, etc. folders and files located on the attached storage while the router is running so I still have to resort to using WinSCP.

I am not shy to command line usage but it is slow to learn and slow to use compared to a GUI environment.

does PlopLinux has a feature that can replace WinSCP for working on the router that is attached to LAN port?

I can use terminal and telnet to determine the storage attached to the router is "/dev/mmc/disc0/part3" but I dont know how to connect/mount this location with PlopLinux to browse, etc.

I try with Applications>Accessories>Files app. then use "Browse Network" and doubleclick on ploplinux icon and it prompts me to enter password for 192.168.3.3 which is the correct IP so I enter the exact same user/pass that works for telnet to login successfully but I cant login here. is this the correct way to browse on the router or some other app included in ploplinux works for this?

as you can see here, I have alot to learn before I can attempt to "compile" anything but I am determined to get there someday.

thanks Elmar