Ploplinux, PXE, nfs, ddwrt and freenas

Started by gearhead, February 27, 2014, 21:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gearhead

I struggled quite a bit to get this to work and thought I'd put down here what I had to do in case it helps anyone else.

I did vary the directory structure a bit as I use the plop menu and added other images to boot.

On the router make sure you are using dnsmasq as dhcp, on the 'services' page, put this line in the 'DNSMasq additional options:
dhcp-boot=pxelinux.0,<server-name>,<ip>

On the FreeNAS server (v9.2.1)
Set up TFTP server:
in the settings box, select the folder where you have put the ploplinux directory tree
Start the service
Set up NFS:
Put in the correct authorized network (allow your clients to find it)
Maproot User = root
Maproot Group = wheel
Select the path to the folder and hit OK

The NFS.conf file needs to be edited to reflect these settings:
append initrd=syslinux/kernel/initramfs.gz vga=1 nfsmount=<IP Address of server>:<full path to folder>|nolock,vers=3

Note: The initrd= needs to point to the path from the NFS 'root' directory as does the kernel=. If you set it up as shown, these should work as given. The main thing it took me a while to figure out is that with FreeNAS, you need the full path in the nfsmount= parameter.

Gearhead

zapp

what IS it? what is IT useful for?

the ddwrt part caught my eye because I am currently working on an old WRT54G

gearhead

"IT" is Ploplinux PXE boot, NFS filesystem. "IT" is useful for diskless booting of a machine for maintenance or repair.

zapp

Quote from: gearhead on March 12, 2014, 19:37:55 PM
"IT" is Ploplinux PXE boot, NFS filesystem. "IT" is useful for diskless booting of a machine for maintenance or repair.

now I get it! I just couldnt put it together from the post. very helpful and thanks for posting the OP and reply. I hope to be able to use your tips on this oneday. wont be anytime soon though. lots to learn here, I havnt even made it that far with windows (PXE booting)