miniSD card in UMTS USB

Started by smartmachine, February 22, 2010, 09:58:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartmachine

Hello fox,

What I have:
I have a ZTEMF637 UMTS USB modem. It comes with a slot for miniSD card slot. I bought a 4GB miniSD card and inserted in it. Then I installed Ubuntu 9.10 Live USB on the miniSD card.

What I want:
To boot using my UMTS USB and the data saved on the miniSD.

What I think the problem is:
Because this UMTS USB modem has two operation modes:
1- CD where the windows installation program for UMTS software is stored
2- UMTS modem and miniSD
Every time the USB stick is inserted, it starts with the first mode where PLoP has no access to the miniSD.

What I tried:
installed PLoP on sony VAIO, windows XP, and tried with:
force USB 1.1
Mass storage device

If I can get this to work, then I have my mobile OS and the access to the internet in one stick :-)
Am I missing something? Any help is appreciated.

Elmar

hi,
can you post the linux dmesg output of the device
dmesg > dmesg.txt

regards
elmar

smartmachine

hi Elmar,

Thanks for the quick reply. Please find the attached file.

Peace!

Elmar

how are you able to access the minisd under linux? i don't see that linux detects it over usb. i see only the pseudo usb cdrom stuff

smartmachine

I eject the sudo CD-rom (using Nautils) and then I get access to the miniSD. I attache a new dmesg_after_eject.txt. The miniSD shows up as /dev/sdc1 I hope we are close to find a sol.

Thanks

Elmar

at the moment i see no chance to get it working with the boot manager. are sure that there is no way to deactivate the cdrom stuff in the modem?

smartmachine

I dont see any physical switch or so. I think I need to change the Firmware to deactivate the cdrom. I need to search for that. But since PLoP speaks to USB, theoretically it should be possible to simulate "CD eject" and then PLoP can get access to the miniSD.

Thanks for the great PLoP and your support!

Peace

Elmar

theoretical yes, but the usb cdrom driver is not completed and an eject option was not planed.

regards
elmar