Plop not detecting USB Card Reader

Started by fredster, November 22, 2014, 08:19:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fredster

I'm seeing a problem that Plop, installed to a bootable 2GB USB Stick, cannot boot a 16GB sd card in a USB Reader even though I can see the USB Reader in the BIOS and boot to it via the BIOS.  When I execute the USB option, it shows "loading driver ... looking for devices ... unloading driver" etc. and goes through the EHCI and various flavors, but doesn't boot at the end and reports an error in red.

Why am I trying to use Plop to do that, if I can already boot to that USB Reader?  Because I have a second USB Reader that doesn't show up in the BIOS, and I wanted to use Plop to boot through it, but it didn't work, so in the process of debugging the problem i thought, "Hey, I'll try it with a reader I know the BIOS can see, to eliminate that as a variable."

This is an ASUS laptop from 2010.  I read here somewhere that Plop won't work through a hub, so that may be the problem - all the external ports on the laptop may be behind a hub.  In that case, I guess I'm screwed right?

The USB Boot process does see two devices, but doesn't try to boot them.  I'm guessing they're the keyboard and pad of the laptop, but who knows.  (The laptop has an internal USB reader as well, but I can't boot from it from the BIOS and Plop can't see it either.)

Elmar

hi,

i am sure, the problem is (the not supported) internal hub.

best regards
elmar