[SOLVED] Booting Plop from floppy hangs?

Started by Nikki, December 03, 2014, 11:52:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nikki

Hi all, guten Tag,

I am trying to boot the Plop boot manager from floppy on an old PC, but it hangs.

Here's what I did. I booted the old PC, which now runs FC9. I downloaded plpbt-5.0.14.zip and used dd to put the floppy image (from the install directory) on a floppy. (3 1/2'') I used only dd if and of, no setting block sizes. Fedora tells me the floppy is vfat formatted.
My boot manager was set to boot floppy first, so no probems there.

Plop then boots and I see the 'Plop Boot Manager install program' screen. It shows me some menu items to choose from, please select [1] ... full boot manager install etc.

Even without knowing Plop's exact keystrokes, the up and down arrow keys or the numbers or ctrl-alt-del/backspace should at least do something. But I get nothing, nothing happens, the screen just sits there.

Because I can't even ctrl-alt-del my first thought is the usb keyboard I am using. Could that be the problem, and if so, how could I solve that? I might have a keyboard from the nineties lying around somewhere...

Did I make a mistake with writing the image to the floppy?

Does anyone maybe have another suggestion?

So if I need to provide additional information, please tell me.

Vielen dank,
Nikki

Nikki

Hello,

In the mean time I went through my attic to see if I could find another keyboard. My PC has those tiny round ports (don't know what they're called?) for keyboard and mouse and I was lucky enough to still have a matching keyboard.

And it works!

Thanks for creating Plop, so I can easily boot from usb on elderly machine.

Nikki

Nikki

Am now booting LXLE live from usb. Just to say thank you for making Plop!

Elmar