native from FAt 32 partition

Started by Sam, February 09, 2015, 15:38:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam

I followed the instructions to make my FAT 32 drive bootable using plop boot manager but it did not work on my pc

Elmar

can you say exactly what instructions you followed?

Sam

yes
I copied  plpinstc.com to FAT 32 formatted drive and renamed it to plpbt.bin after that I ran plpmkboot program and used this command
plpmkboot (drive letter):

Elmar

and whats happening when you boot the drive?

Sam

I dont get any option to boot from this FAT 32 drive. simply windows starts.

Elmar

thats no surprise when your device is not used a boot device by your bios.

set the device as first boot device in the bios and it should boot.

Sam

ok I will do this and inform you soon. But I want to ask one more thing my harddrive is already set to first boot device.
thanks for your reply

Elmar

is the hard disk the device with the fat32 partition?

Sam

yes sir.  Windows xp is also installed on this harddrive but on seperate partition.

Elmar

it would have been a good idea to tell this information at the beginning of the thread.

in this case you don't have to change the bios setup. its required to change the hard disk boot flag.

is there a reason why you want to start the boot manager install program from the fat partition and not from the windows boot menu?

Sam

yes sir I want to install windows 7 on my old pc using usb derive on the same partition having windows xp.
kindly guide me how to change the boot flag of hard drive. thank you.

Elmar

thats not a good reason, because when you install the boot manager to the mbr from the windows boot menu, then the boot manager is independent from any other system and you can install what you want to the winxp partition. the boot manager will boot as long as the mbr boot program is untouched. its not required to do the workaround with the fat partition.

in your case, i would also do a test if the win7 install program starts from usb with the boot manager before you install it to the mbr.

however, if you still want to change the boot flag see
https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/dm_active_partition.mspx?mfr=true

Sam

ok sir it means if I format windows xp partition bootmanager  will still work ???

Elmar

when you install the boot manager to the mbr then yes

Sam

ok sir
Thanks a lot for your guidance.

Plopuserxp

I got a similar problem with usb boot. I got an old laptop without operating system (I want to install xp with usb, cd reader was broken). And the pc cant read the bios mod on the usb. I got the " - " loading screen but doesnt run nothing...

Sam

Than take harddisk out connect it to another computer. Install plop boot manager to MBR and reconnect to your old laptop. now you can install windows from USB.

Sam

If your laptop have a floppy drive you can also install boot manager from floppy disk