Installed but can't make a selection

Started by Cyd, March 30, 2015, 17:03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyd

Hello! I've installed the boot manager and everything is fine until the selection menu comes up but then I can't move the selector down to USB. It just stays at the top of the menu.

I'm trying to install Slackware on an XP laptop from a USB. Nothing fancy, just format and install. I'm so blasted CLOSE!!! LOL!

Cyd

OK, so I've tried it from a CD (4 different ISO configurations) but just either get a blank screen with a flashing cursor or a "Cannod load DOS! Any key to retry".

Cyd

And now none of my live CDs work - good grief. I'm cursed.

Elmar

Cyd

Elmar! I was so obsessed with being cursed, I never even looked at plopkexec...you're an angel! Thanks!

Cyd

OK Elmar - I'm up to 4 trashed CDs and I'm down to my last 5 - so, how do I use plopkexec? I've tried the ISO and the floppy img. Both sort of boot, but there's no where to go - or so it says.

I don't understand why I can burn any of the LiveCDs and pop them in any computer without a problem but I CAN'T GET A STUPID PATH TO THE STUPID USB DRIVE!

Wait- if I can get it to work with a Live CD again...like MAYBE the newer Slax build? That can mount the harddrive for anti-virus scanning and repairs? Can I start the setup program from that - with it in ram? Of course, I don't know if it sees USB drives...I've never tried...

Elmar

Quote from: Cyd on March 31, 2015, 16:04:52 PM
OK Elmar - I'm up to 4 trashed CDs and I'm down to my last 5 - so, how do I use plopkexec? I've tried the ISO and the floppy img. Both sort of boot, but there's no where to go - or so it says.

how do you burn the cd's?

Cyd

I'm in an old, offline XP (SP2) and an old version of CDBurnerXP Pro 3, so - I made it bootable, then burned the images with the default settings, except I slowed it down a bit, since I wasn't in a hurry.

First, I burned the 0.3 img version to emulate a floppy, then the iso image - both worked, but wouldn't let me go anywhere or see any other drives.

BUT - In all of the getting into it and fit-throwing, I totally forgot about the CD images - so I just downloaded them and will use 4 of my last 5 CDs for that, hopefully, since, if it doesn't work or starts and stops, it will be on the only computer with a CD burner, LOL. I have an old first generation DVD burner in an external case somewhere, but never got it to work for DVDs. I THINK it worked for CDs, but I can't really remember.  Oh well. If I have to go after more blank CDs, I'll just pick up a new one.

I don't mind buying peripheral stuff. What I hate, hate, HATE is Microsoft trying to force me to do something I don't want to do, whether it's new hardware or a new Windows version. Either way, it just triggers a big, old "you are NOT the boss of me!" flag in my head. I just hate it...AND the horse it rode in on. Oh well...

Thanks for trying to help an old lady! I appreciate it!

jraju

hI,
                     You check your key board . It should work with a light on it. If keyboard is not working, then you cannot possibly choose the up and down arrow to move to usb menu in plbt.
                            You just download the zip file and then extract all files to a folder. Just select plbt.iso from the files and then copy to your folder. Just burn this iso file having 544 bytes to a cd using imgburn or nero. Just try and it will work. If for any reason, it does not allow , then it is bios settings. If keyboard works, then you will be able to move arrow keys

diapason

Can't promise this will help but it's worth a try. I had exactly the same problem. I was trying to put Linux Mint 17.1 on two identical redundant Fujitsu Siemens PCs. It worked perfectly on one but, on the other, when the GRUB selection appeared, the keyboard was dead (I tried both USB and PS2 keyboards). I compared all the BIOS settings and boot options on both machines and could not see any difference. Then, in desperation, I reset everything in BIOS to default, rebooted and the problem was gone. Don't ask me why; I have no idea but it might work for you too. Good luck.

Cyd

Setting the bios to default settings makes TOTAL sense, doesn't it? Because anyone who needs plop is probably going to have been messing around with their settings first - which I absolutely did! Thanks!

Cyd

Quote from: jraju on May 14, 2015, 09:38:22 AM
hI,
                     You check your key board . It should work with a light on it. If keyboard is not working, then you cannot possibly choose the up and down arrow to move to usb menu in plbt.
                            You just download the zip file and then extract all files to a folder. Just select plbt.iso from the files and then copy to your folder. Just burn this iso file having 544 bytes to a cd using imgburn or nero. Just try and it will work. If for any reason, it does not allow , then it is bios settings. If keyboard works, then you will be able to move arrow keys

You were absolutely right - no keyboard - duh! Didn't even check...what a doofus. Thanks, jraju!