plpbt.bin installed, but not working (crashing?)

Started by jba, May 15, 2015, 22:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jba

I have an asus x205 laptop which runs debian jessie with grub2. I order to select booting from usb from grub, I installed plop boot manager.

I use the following entry:

menuentry "Plop Boot Manager" {
    set root=(hd0,gpt2)
    linux16 /boot/plpbt.bin
}

However, when I choose plop, nothing happens. I see the grub background forever. The partition seems to be ok, because when I change it, I get an error message of a missing file or partition. So I am pretty sure, plop is loaded.

This laptop is very special in many ways. It has UEFI firmware, but only 32 loader. It was very difficult to find a dsitribution that can be installed on it. So, maybe, the problems have something to do with the very special firmware?

Juergen

Azoic

Se the last part of this review, it means your eepc can't boot from USB, and PLOP is hanging on that.

HATE: UPGRADING MAY BE TRICKY

If you're a Linux enthusiast, you may be thinking this would make a great Linux notebook. However, settings under its BIOS do not include the option to boot from USB flash memory stick or other external source. This also means you can't boot up the Windows 8.1 recovery tool written onto a USB flash memory stick, in case something goes wrong with the OS to where you can't start it. And what about upgrading to Windows 10 when it's released? At least based on its Technical Preview version, Windows 10 requires more than 16 GB of free space to install, but there's less than 13 GB available on the X205. Hopefully, ASUS and Microsoft will come up with something.

http://www.networkworld.com/article/2873540/5-things-we-love-hate-about-the-asus-x205-notebook.html