Main Menu

Verbose Startup

Started by burnme, March 03, 2010, 05:24:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burnme

Wondering if there is a configuration that can be done to run a splash instead of verbose mode. Would love to have a pretty picture over the flying text. I tried to go in and configure grub to no avail.

Also I was working under the impression that if I sqfs a package up, decomp/mount that I could put whatever I want in. Just wonder if that has something to do with it.

Anyway, any info you have would be helpful.

Thanx
Burnme

Elmar

hi,

Quote from: burnme on March 03, 2010, 05:24:01 AM
Wondering if there is a configuration that can be done to run a splash instead of verbose mode. Would love to have a pretty picture over the flying text. I tried to go in and configure grub to no avail.

a splash screen during booting is not possible. the kernel must be patched. personally, i have no problem with patching the kernel. i did it for years with the plop linux kernel, but to make the life easier for others, i don't patch the kernel since 4.0.0. you have to change the initrd file too.

if you don't want the kernel messages at startup, you can use the kernel parameter "quiet". add it to the "append" line.

Quote from: burnme on March 03, 2010, 05:24:01 AM
Also I was working under the impression that if I sqfs a package up, decomp/mount that I could put whatever I want in. Just wonder if that has something to do with it.

sqfs is a read only file system. if you want to change a file in the sqfs or add a file, then you have to copy out the files and create a new sqfs with mksquashfs.

best regards
elmar

burnme

Really?? I thought the kernel was already setup for splash since you have the plop image that is placed on the top of the screen when you use linuxfb. I have read up on how to reconfigure the kernel for the splash, its gonna be a chore if that what it takes.

I knew about the sqfs, that was how I got into the system to work on grub. It shouldn't be an issue with packing everything back up for load, I thought maybe I had done something I shouldn't have when I opened it up, then repacked it for the system.

But if the the kernel is loading the banner image, and grub isn't loading it on start screen, then oh wise master you must teach how to do that!! I personally don't know of another way to present the graphix otherwise.

Appreciate the reply, will keep following your projects.

Your Fan,
Burnme

Elmar

Quote from: burnme on March 03, 2010, 09:39:49 AM
Really?? I thought the kernel was already setup for splash since you have the plop image that is placed on the top of the screen when you use linuxfb. I have read up on how to reconfigure the kernel for the splash, its gonna be a chore if that what it takes.

no, its not patched. i only replaced the logo_linux_clut224.ppm file with my own.

you can do it simply by yourself without big changes of the base system.

create your logo with gimp and save it as .ppm
copy the file "/proc/config.gz" from a running ploplinux to a hard disk to have it for later
download the kernel that is used in ploplinux from http://www.kernel.org
extract it with "tar xfj [kernelfile]"
change into the kernel directory
extract the config.gz with "zcat config.gz > .config"
change to the directory "drivers/video/logo"
replace the "logo_linux_clut224.ppm" with your file
go back to the kernel root directory and create the new kernel with "make bzImage"
after it has finished go to "arch/x86/boot" and copy the "bzImage" to your plop linux. take care, the bzimage of plop linux is written in lower chars! yours must be renamed to "bzimage"

best regards
elmar

burnme

okay, I get it, thanx, very interesting. I was thinking of running through the LinuxFromScratch. I was trying to do something like this http://blogs.koolwal.net/2008/12/12/how-to-add-a-grub-splash-screen-image-in-debian-linux/. It didn't mention having to recompile the kernel, but I trust you more than them, my bet would be I would have hit that wall without know it.

Much appreciated, nice to see how thats done, when I get the that point I wanted to do something extra nice like Ubuntu does.

Thanx
Burnme

Elmar

they are talking about the grub splash screen. this means a graphical user interface with an image when grub is running. but this is gone as soon as you select linux to boot.

best regards
elmar