USB Boot into vmware

Started by abrsan, March 05, 2010, 15:11:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

abrsan

I am running VMware. 
Goal: To boot from a usb, and capture a syspreped image, simple enough, right?
Within Vm seetings, (use floppy image file: c:\utilities\plpbt-5.0.8\plpbt-5.0.8\plpbt.img).
Device status:
Connected
Connected at power on
Problem. I worked once, now I can't get it boot.  USB formated, partitioned, active, all winpe files copied to USB, no problem there.
So here is the message plop returns:
Loading EHCI Driver
Searching on hosts
Host 1
driver removed
loading UHCI DRIVER
Searching on hosts
Host 1
port 1: no mass storage device
port 2: no mass storage device
+++ boot error +++
no boot device found, please retry it
any idea?

Elmar

it looks like your usb device does not act as usb 2.0 device.

currently, the plop boot manager usb 1.1 part does not work correct under vmware. only usb 2.0 works.

regards
elmar

abrsan

So what you are suggesting is to purchase better usb device (2.2)
Thanks in advance.  I worked on the issue for days. If fact, many long hours.

Elmar

Quote from: abrsan on March 05, 2010, 23:09:20 PM
So what you are suggesting is to purchase better usb device (2.2)

no. did you change something how the usb device is connected? maybe you put an usb 1.1 hub between the pc and the usb device.

sklmam

Hi, this is my first post.

I am facing the same problem. I am using a 8GB Transcend USB 2.0 flash drive. I can boot from it in host but not in VMware.

Same error as in the picture. I tried with a USB 1.1 HUB but no success.

I am using PloP 5.0.10.

Elmar

only usb 2.0 works with my boot manager in vmware. if you use a usb 1.1 hub then it doesn't work.

potchan

Hi Team,

I like the discussion over VMware machine, though I prefer Qemu or VirtualBox on a Linux platform placed on ext4  or reiserFS filesystem  (for stableness & lighter base RAM consuming, but it's not for this forum).

My POV is: It's not PLoP this time to "blame". Perhaps there are some special hotkey combinations not yet tested. The major problem is simply the flash media itself, and I mean EVERY FLASH MEDIA BY ITS NATURE !!!

Do it all again up to the stage it once worked and try to automate the unmounting of  ANY USB prior to shutdown.

That's all here.

Potchan  :D

walterav

Quote from: Elmar on May 08, 2010, 19:38:14 PM
only usb 2.0 works with my boot manager in vmware. if you use a usb 1.1 hub then it doesn't work.

Try Virtualbox Beta 3.20, it only supports plop bootmanager booting via usb1.1 isn't it contradicting?

http://forum.plop.at/index.php/topic,200.0.html

Although it loads the kernel very slow, but it instantly loads the grub/syslinux bootloader, so you know your usb-device boots normally!

steve6375

See my tutorial https://sites.google.com/site/rmprepusb/tutorials/how-to-boot-from-usb-under-vmware-server

However, I cannot get WinPE v2 or v3 or vista/win7 images to boot from USB drive using vmware server + PLOP. The loading bar comes up and finishes and then I get a blank screen (or the 3 windows animated balls if winpe 3 or windows 7 live) but then it seems to hang.

If I use Qemu, it is slow, but at least it works!