Windows Boot Manager - Dos Option not visible

Started by stedolphin, February 05, 2016, 07:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stedolphin

Hi there,

I am a completely newbie with Plop; I would like to use Plop to boot in Dos mode for BIOS upgrade. I have a machine that does not want to boot with neither USB stick, nor CD.

And finally I've found this solution which looks to be "magic" ... so

I've downloaded the Windows Version, installed id under Windows 7 x64 (which is the actual OS), and when boot from Plop, there are some of the possibities but not DOS, is there something which I've missed ?

Cheers

Steve

Elmar

Hello,

the Plop Boot Manager has no DOS option. It just boots operating systems.

When you want to flash the bios with DOS from an USB drive, then you have to install DOS on the USB drive. Then start the Plop Boot Manager and use the USB boot option to boot from USB. Its also possible that the bios emulates the USB drive as internal drive even when the bios does not provide USB boot. In that case you see in the Plop Boot Manager main menu for example a boot drive with HDB1 although you have only one internal drive. Then there is no need to use the Boot Manager USB option and you choose the HDB1 option, which should be the preferred option in this situation, because of some limitations of the Boot Manager USB driver.

Best regards
Elmar

stedolphin

Hi Elmar,

thanks a lot for your answer ... I've found around something like in the pic, and you see as one of the Menu Options ... FreeDOS how to get that ???

Anyway I'll give a try on what you are saying

TKS

Steve

Elmar

The picture shows the Boot Manager that has been installed to the MBR of a hard disk. When the boot manager is installed to the MBR, then its possible to configure and define boot menu entries. In this case, the user defined that menu entry 1 should have the label "FREE DOS". This may boot a partition on the hard disk that has Free DOS installed. The label could also be meaningless like "AHSGSFW" . Its just a free text.

Best regards
Elmar

stedolphin

Hey Elmar,

THANKS a lot for your answer !!!

The way you just explained made possible to BOOT from the USB with DOS !!!

I've lost days before getting this solution ... OWESOME !!!

Cheers

Steve