Boot Manager(plpbt.img not valid archive)

Started by rickspraggett, February 08, 2016, 14:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickspraggett

I am trying to create boot manager on a floppy to install Win 8 on a USB flash drive. I have downloaded all available versions of boot manager but when I try to extract plpbt.img I get the error message "not a valid archive" so I cannot move to the next stage. I get the same result on two other laptops, so it is not my PC(win XP) or WINZIP causing the problem. I have tried several internet fixes but these do not work.
Please help as I cannot install Win 8 until this is resolved

Elmar

plpbt.img is not a zip archive. It's a floppy image. Use the program Winimage or RawWrite to write the image to the floppy.

rickspraggett

I cannot get hold of the file plpbt.img.When I download the parent file and click on the folder in WinZip, it opens and in the file list is plpbt.img listed as a winzip file.
When I click on this file, this is when I get the message" cannot open this file. it may be an invalid archive". If I try to extract it it sends a file to a selected folder, also listed as a winzip file and if I try to open it, the same message appears. I tried loading this file on to a floppy but rawrite could not complete and failed
I understand that I need the file as plpbt.img but I cannot get it in this format

Elmar

The association for img files as zip file is wrong on your computer. Ignore the zip association for the img file, don't try to open the img file, just write the img file with RawWrite to the floppy.

rickspraggett

Thank You for helping and I am sorry for being so slow. I don't know how to get the plpbt.img out of the boot manager download in Winzip across and into the rawrite  write menu, even using the browse button. Please bear with me

Elmar

Extract the file plpbt-5.0.15.zip
Open the extracted folder and copy plpbt.img to your Desktop
Start the program RawWrite. Choose the floppy drive. Choose the Write tab and select the plpbt.img from the Desktop. Press the write button.

rickspraggett

My PC must be different! I right click on the file and there isn't a copy option nor in the winzip toolbar. And it is still calling it a zip file.

Elmar

what file do you mean when  you write

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 08, 2016, 19:39:37 PM
...I right click on the file and there isn't a copy option...

rickspraggett

This is how the file appears in the folder:
plpbt.img  winzip file  02/02/2015 15 ;21 1474560  92% 120196

Elmar

Grab the file with the left mouse button and move it to the Desktop

rickspraggett

We,ve moved a bit!
Moved plpbt.img to desktop. placed it in rawrite and started to write to floppy. Got this message:
Write failed (60%) The drive cannot find sector requested
Do you get many like me?

Elmar

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 08, 2016, 20:09:43 PM
Write failed (60%) The drive cannot find sector requested

Try another floppy disk. Maybe it's defect.

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 08, 2016, 20:09:43 PM
Do you get many like me?

No

rickspraggett

"Image successfully written"!!!!
Thanks a million for your help. Where would us Dumbos be without people like you?!
Does this mean that I can now go into BIOS, move the floppy to the top of the boot menu, boot up and be given the option of booting from USB or CD?
I don't want to appear too confident. So don't hold your breath, I may be back
Best Regards
Rick

Elmar

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 08, 2016, 20:32:04 PM
Does this mean that I can now go into BIOS, move the floppy to the top of the boot menu, boot up and be given the option of booting from USB or CD?

Yes, BUT before you do anything,

=== take some time and make a backup of all your data to an external drive! === 

when you play around with OS then there is always the risk to lose data when you make something wrong.