Plop to boot Ubuntu on RAID system

Started by eeBus, March 06, 2010, 14:59:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eeBus

I recently had a lot of success with plop boot manager and booting from USB. So a big thank you to the authors.

This got me thinking if I could use PLop Boot Manager to boot under the following situation.

I have a Dell Inspiron 1721 which is an AMD based RAID system running Vista. (Two 120GB discs in a RAID 0 configuration). I hate Vista so several months ago I tried to load ubuntu 9.04. All went well untill the Ubuntu installation process failed to write the GRUB. This is not surprising as with the Raid 0 configuration I think the GRUB would have to be loaded on both drives.

However Ubuntu IS loaded and on the system. I just can't start it. Is there some way that I could use PLoP Boot Manager to start up Ubuntu?

I hope this will be of interest to other users.

Thanks eeBus

Icecube

Do you still have the Ubuntu live CD?

Icecube

Boot from it and post the contents of /boot/grub/grub.cfg of your hard disk.

eeBus

I had forgotten that I had actually tried to install ubuntu 9.10

So I've booted from that CD and gone to the 60GB partition I created at that time.
I have enabled "Show hidden files" and gone to the /boot/grub directory which is empty. There are NO files in it.

The current 'Live/CD' File System has a /boot/grub directory with 1 file
grubenv  with contents
# GRUB Environment Block
############################################

Thank you for your perseverance
Cheers
eeBus

Icecube

grub2 currently doesn't seem to support RAID (or at least not the version included in Ubuntu 9.10. Ubuntu 9.04 should work fine (has legacy grub).
If you have another drive in that PC (not RAID), you can try to install grub2 on that drive:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1354922

eeBus

My PC is a laptop, so I can't have another hdd.

I'll try again with Ubuntu 10.04 which should be coming out soon and hope that get's me Ubuntu on my laptop.

So thanks for your help so far.
Cheers
eeBus