plop boot manager on floppy-Loading on to PC win XP

Started by rickspraggett, February 09, 2016, 11:14:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickspraggett

Please may I call for help again !
I am trying to load the plop boot manager from floppy on to my PC running Windows XP to install WIN 8 from USB. I have moved the floppy to the top of the boot sequence in Bios and the PC has booted to this window:
HDA Partition 1
Floppy
CD Rom
USB
Network
Setup
About
Shutdown
(Is this a menu or a boot sequence?) If I leave it on Partition 1 nothing happens

I selected USB and the following window came up
Loading EHC1 drivers
Searching on Hosts
Host 1
Port 3 Device connected
No HD
Port 4 Device connected
No HD
Port 6
HDD Device connected
CD Rom
Diskette
Nothing else happened and there was no way to move down the list or enter
No further actions
I am reluctant to experiment because Win 8 is a clean install on Win XP and I cannot afford to lose XP until I know the correct procedure!
It is disappointing that there isn't a tutorial to guide you through the process

Elmar

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 09, 2016, 11:14:58 AM
.. (Is this a menu or a boot sequence?) If I leave it on Partition 1 nothing happens

Its a menu. pressing enter is required to use the menu entry.

I selected USB and the following window came up
Loading EHC1 drivers
Searching on Hosts
Host 1
Port 3 Device connected
No HD
Port 4 Device connected
No HD
Port 6
HDD Device connected

When the USB drive is connected to an USB HUB then connect the USB drive directly to the computer USB port. The boot manager has no driver for USB HUBs.

Nothing else happened and there was no way to move down the list or enter
No further actions

I assume, you are using an USB keyboard. As soon as you use the Boot Manager USB option, the USB keyboard will no longer work, because the Boot Manager takes control over the USB Host without having an USB keyboard driver. So the the keyboard doesn't work, until the booted OS starts its own USB drivers.

Regards
Elmar

rickspraggett

Thanks for your prompt response
USB is plugged into rear of PC
Yes I have a USB keyboard
On start-up first screen appears,I scroll to USB+enter
2nd screen appears as previously and activity ceases. There is no prompt

Elmar

Are you able to boot from that USB hard disk on a computer with bios USB support?

rickspraggett

My computer BIOS only supports Hard Drive,CD Rom and Floppy.
Are you asking if I can boot from the USB drive to another computer that supports USB?

Elmar

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 09, 2016, 15:01:40 PM
Are you asking if I can boot from the USB drive to another computer that supports USB?

Yes, thats my question.

rickspraggett

I'll borrow a laptop and come back to you when I have an answer
Thank You

rickspraggett

I loaned a Lenovo laptop running on Windows 8.1 and it did not detect a bootable USB drive nor did it detect a DVD-R, which I also created with the same data.
I also tried both the USB and the DVD with the folders deleted to leave only the autorun files etc.
Does this indicate that the Windows 8 download is missing something?
I have attached a screen shot of the data

Elmar

How did you create the media? Did you use the Media Creation Tool of Microsoft to create the DVD and USB disk?

rickspraggett

No, I used the tool from Rufus. I am prepared to start again if you think the Microsoft program will solve the problem. Are the files on my present USB the correct ones?

Elmar

I know nothing about the Rufus tool, but now I have seen it has a lot of options. And don't understand me wrong, but I think many options are not your friend.

Creating a bootable device is basically not difficult if you know what you do. No special tools are needed, but special task have to be done.

However, try the Microsoft Media Creation Tool. It's a simple tool. Create both, USB HD and DVD.

rickspraggett

I have tried to download the MS Media tool, but I only get the message that I need to install MS image mastering API v2 before I can get this tool.All the MS download URL's say the the page cannot be found. Is this because MS have withdrawn support for XP?
Also any other sites either fail or are blocked by my security as information stealers!
I am going round in circles!

rickspraggett

Sorry been on Holiday. I regret this installation is beyond my computer skills.Everything I try ends in failure.Even the Win8 download when extracted doesn't open an ISO file so the USB makers do not detect an ISO file. Obviously I am missing something. Not your fault but I think it would be better for everyone if you refunded my payment and I purchase  a full Win 8 on disc which will be ready to install. Thank you for all your efforts
Regards,
George

Elmar

Quote from: rickspraggett on February 21, 2016, 15:57:28 PM
... it would be better for everyone if you refunded my payment ...

From what payment are you talking about???

rickspraggett

You can see just how confused I am!! I am even mistaking you for the software company who supplied the win8 download!.
Please accept my sincere apologies and forget I ever existed and thank you for trying to help me.I will not contact you again.
Very best regards
George