partition not found (Solved via reformat)

Started by Brotherred, March 22, 2016, 20:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brotherred

Hello all. I am new here. I have been a Linux user for about twenty years but still rather n0obish, sadly. Anyway I have been running Peppermint OS for long time (v3) and now I have Pepp6 installed on a old laptop. I have posted this issue to my Distro forums here: http://forum.peppermintos.com/index.php/topic,3204.msg31635.html#msg31635

My full system configuration is here:
$ inxi -a
/usr/bin/inxi: illegal option -- a
Error 7: One of the options you entered in your script parameters: -a
is not supported.The option may require extra arguments to work.
For supported options (and their arguments), check the help menu: inxi -h
*** ~ $ inxi -A
Audio:     Card: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 AC'97 Sound Controller driver: snd_intel8x0
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: k3.16.0-67-generic
mobileme@SnappyPenquen ~ $ inxi -D
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 80.0GB (64.1% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: WDC_WD800BEVE size: 80.0GB
***~ $ inxi -P
Partition: ID: / size: 7.4G used: 2.2G (32%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 1.4G used: 45M (4%) fs: ext4
           ID: /home size: 42G used: 36G (91%) fs: ext4 ID: /var size: 4.9G used: 1.8G (38%) fs: ext4
           ID: /usr size: 14G used: 8.3G (63%) fs: ext4

You will see there in my Distro forums that the suggested code that I was given was:
menuentry "Install Plop Boot Manager" {
    set root='hd0,msdos7'
    linux16 /boot/plpinstc.com
}

And just today I tried /dev/sda6 and /dev/sda9. All of these have failed. I am not sure of where this issue may be already posted here in this forum. I have searched but did not see it. Any help would be much appreciated. Like I suppose many here LIVE USBs have been a huge help to me.
Regards

Elmar

Hello,

Quote from: Brotherred on March 22, 2016, 20:21:48 PM
You will see there in my Distro forums that the suggested code that I was given was:
menuentry "Install Plop Boot Manager" {
    set root='hd0,msdos7'
    linux16 /boot/plpinstc.com
}

This configuration makes no sense.

I suggest that you use the Live version. Use plpbt.bin instead of plpinstc.com. When your /boot partition is the first partition on the hard disk then use for grub2

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

menuentry "Plop Boot Manager" {
    set root=(hd0,1)
    linux16 /plpbt.bin
}

See https://www.plop.at/en/bootmanager/plpbt.bin.html#rungrub2

Best regards
Elmar

Brotherred

It seems then that a major issue then is that I have my /boot at the end of the drive. Is there a remedy that does not involve my rearranging my partitions?

Regards

Elmar

It doesn't matter if the /boot partition is the first or last partition or somewhere in between.

When your /boot partition is sda5 then change
set root=(hd0,1)
- to -
set root=(hd0,5)

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

set root=(hd0,5)
    linux16 /plpbt.bin
}

See the Grub2 documentation for details.

Best regards
Elmar

Brotherred

I did everything just as you said, I believe. And it still says partition not found. Oh and I reinstalled the system and put the /boot at the beginning of the drive. I did that before your reply about that.

inxi -p
Partition: ID: / size: 13G used: 591M (5%) fs: ext4 ID: /boot size: 2.3G used: 83M (4%) fs: ext4
           ID: /usr size: 9.3G used: 4.0G (46%) fs: ext4 ID: /var size: 4.7G used: 1.5G (34%) fs: ext4
           ID: /home size: 39G used: 5.8G (16%) fs: ext4 ID: /home/mobileme size: 39G used: 5.8G (16%) fs: ecryptfs[code]

[code]ls /boot
abi-3.16.0-37-generic         memtest86+.bin
abi-3.16.0-67-generic         memtest86+.elf
config-3.16.0-37-generic      memtest86+_multiboot.bin
config-3.16.0-67-generic      plpbt.bin
grub                          System.map-3.16.0-37-generic
initrd.img-3.16.0-37-generic  System.map-3.16.0-67-generic
initrd.img-3.16.0-67-generic  vmlinuz-3.16.0-37-generic
lost+found                    vmlinuz-3.16.0-67-generic

Quotesudo nano /etc/grub.d/40_custom
The contents of that file are now:
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

set root=(hd0,1)
    linux16 /boot/plpbt.bin

Regards

Elmar

You did not everything, you also have to remove the /boot in front of /boot/plpbt.bin in the config file.

Best regards
Elmar

Brotherred

I just dunno. Still can't find the partition.

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

set root=(hd0,1)
    linux16 plpbt.bin

Regards

Brotherred

Would compiling the source code help? Not that I look forward to it the compiling process for plop is nothing like I have seen before.

Regards

Elmar

Compiling the source would not help anything. The problem comes from your Grub configuration. I don't know if it makes a difference and I have no time to check it, but you did not set a "/" in front of plpbt.bin.
Can you make a photo or a video with a smartphone of your monitor when there is the "partition not found" message?

Brotherred

Yes, after I set the /

Regards :-[

Brotherred

Yeah it failed like you seemed to expect. Here's the picture.

Regards

Brotherred

Sorry is this picture hard to view? Is there anything that I can do for this situation?
Regards

Elmar

You are using Peppermint Linux. I tested now a standard installation of Peppermint linux and the plop boot manager started flawless from the grub menu. The standard installation doesn't use an extra partition for /boot. So i did a second test with /boot on a logical partition and the plop boot manager also started without any problems from the grub boot menu.

What is the device node of your /boot partition.

Brotherred

I apologize that had to have been frustrating. I have preferred it this way since back when I ran Fedora Core 3. I can't imagin why your /boot works and mine does not.

# /boot was on /dev/sda10 during installation
UUID=e26dbe23-ff1a-4bb8-abda-268e8aa2cbfb /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2

Regards

Elmar

Quote from: Brotherred on April 16, 2016, 07:41:41 AM
I... I can't imagin why your /boot works and mine does not...

Because I am setting the correct root= in the grub config.

Quote from: Brotherred on April 16, 2016, 07:41:41 AM

This just show what was and not what is. The mount command will show to what device node the /boot is mounted too.

However, I assume it is still /dev/sda10. Now the config is

#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0

set root=(hd0,10)
    linux16 /plpbt.bin
}

the grub root= must be the equivalent of  the device node where /boot is mounted.

Regards

Brotherred

I tried that and it failed. Indeed my /boot is on /dev/sda10. I copied your code and pasted it into the file  /etc/grub.d/40_custom

# / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
UUID=0e7232a8-3264-4d27-9a32-9b550b162857 /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
UUID=e26dbe23-ff1a-4bb8-abda-268e8aa2cbfb /boot           ext4    defaults        0       2
# /home was on /dev/sda9 during installation
UUID=0d7562a9-a9ec-48e2-826e-e5e0848207a1 /home           ext4    defaults        0       2
# /usr was on /dev/sda7 during installation
UUID=a294efb3-a992-4d30-99cb-1dc80bf8ec59 /usr            ext4    defaults        0       2
# /var was on /dev/sda8 during installation
UUID=d7166a32-1320-4564-b5e1-a6e6b2a7bc52 /var            ext4    defaults        0       2
# swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation
#UUID=0cdeb909-2ca5-4768-a2f9-0a055df83fae none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/mapper/cryptswap1 none swap sw 0 0

I am very sorry for all of the trouble over something that should be so easy.
Regards

Elmar

Did you also run update-grub2 or update-grub?

Regards
Elmar

Brotherred

I updated-grub2. But just to be sure I went back and update-grub. But those did not work. Unfortunately my partition configuration has changed. I reworking my plop to reflect that.

Regards