Booting into a Linux ISO that's on my hard drive using Plop

Started by kaz, May 14, 2016, 08:38:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kaz

Hi,

I have a Vaio Tap 11 without a functioning RF keyboard, that only has one usb port. If I start a linux installation from that usb, I need to pull out the dok and connect a keyboard to choose "install XX" at the boot menu, at which point I get an error since the disk on key is not attached.

A usb hub / splitter does not seem to work, so I was wondering if it was somehow possible to put the linux ISO on the hard drive, and have Plop boot from that? That way I can use the keyboard and have the installation going.
The current os running is Win 10, the desired Linux (for dual boot) is Mint 17.3.

Any feedback/ideas would be welcome :)

Thanks,
Jo

Elmar

Hello,

no, thats not supported by the Plop Boot Manager.

A solution for your problem would be to setup the linux boot menu to auto boot the install mode.

Regards
Elmar

kaz

Hi Elmar,

Thank you for the tip, do you have any idea how I can manually do this ISO alteration from within windows? I'm not very savvy with this :)

I actually tried using Unetbootin and YUMI already but to no avail.. 

Is there maybe a way to have a hard disk partition be "marked" as a USB, extract the ISO there and then have Plop do it's thing?

Elmar

Quote from: kaz on May 14, 2016, 11:20:21 AM
Thank you for the tip, do you have any idea how I can manually do this ISO alteration from within windows? I'm not very savvy with this :)

There exists a program to modify ISO's, but I cant remember the name. It's also possible to use mkisofs to recreate the ISO.

Quote from: kaz on May 14, 2016, 11:20:21 AM
Is there maybe a way to have a hard disk partition be "marked" as a USB, extract the ISO there and then have Plop do it's thing?

No, thats not possible. But you can use grub4dos to boot an ISO from the hard disk.

kaz

Thank you for the info, I found that EasyBCD and Grub2Win should support booting an ISO from the harddrive. EasyBCD is smaller (1.3 Mb) so I'll give it a try, thanks for the help!